Marauders fall victim to undefeated Mustangs

Alexandra Reilly
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

Alexandra Reilly

Assistant Sports Editor

The Western men’s rugby team kept their undefeated season in tact this weekend, as McMaster’s hard fought battle just was not enough to take down the Mustangs on their home field.

On Sept. 21 the Marauders travelled to London, Ont. to battle against a 2-0 Mustang crew.

Although the game proved to be a physically intense one for both teams and neither squad put up any points until 25 minutes in, the Mustangs would prove to triumph late in the game leading the Marauders 13-5 heading into the half.

The Marauders would come out fighting in the beginning of the second half, scoring their second try of the game less then ten minutes into the half. Western did not hesitate to respond soon after as James Ojo burst through to score a try three minutes later.

Despite numerous scoring opportunities for the Maroon and Grey squad the score remained 25-10 for the Mustangs for the rest of the game until a late try followed by a conversion would put Western out of Mac’s reach with the score sitting in the Mustangs favor at 32-10.

McMaster would walk away with their second loss of the season on the road. The Marauders hope to lick their wounds clean in order to prepare for their next contest in which they face Brock University on Sept. 28 at home.

The Marauders 1-2 record now ties them with Brock for fourth place in the standings.

McMaster hopes to come out successful against the St. Catharines crew in order to put them slightly above in the OUA rankings.