Marauders advance to OUA semifinals with 41-7 win against Gee-Gees

Alexandra Reilly

With a convincing 41-7 win against the Ottawa Gee-Gees at Ron Joyce Stadium, the Marauders will advance purchase no rx viagra to the OUA semifinals against either Queen's or Western next week.

The Marauders had their work cut out for them as they faced the team they sat tied with in the OUA rankings. Both teams were each coming off a three-game winning streak to start the quarterfinals each with a 5-3 season.

The game also saw the return of some of Mac’s injured, with Joey Cupido, Matt Sewell and Jimmy Hill all returning to the line up for the Maroon and Grey.

McMaster came out strong to start the quarterfinal match-up against the Gee-Gees, pouncing on a Gee-Gee fumble in the opening minutes of the game.

Runningback Wayne Moore had a breakout game for the Marauders as he gave Mac their first bit on the scoreboard. With a successful kick from Tyler Crapigna, the Marauders took an early 7-0 lead against Ottawa. Moore would rush for 63 yards in the first quarter alone.

Danny Vandervoort helped out Quarterback Marshall Ferguson by running in a touchdown with just over five minutes to play in the first quarter. McMaster finished out the first quarter with a commanding 14-0 lead over the Gee-Gees.

The second quarter saw a hungry Mac defensive unit as linebacker Joe Richardson entered the quarter with an early sack on Gee-Gees quarterback Aaron Colbon. The play forced a two and out for the Ottawa team with 12:36 left in the half. Danny Vandervoort lended a hand in maintaining a Marauder lead by getting the team a first down at the 10-minute mark. Wayne Moore got Mac in the red zone once more rushing 20 yards on the play. Mac would increase their lead by 17-0.

Not long after the Marauder touchdown, the Ottawa Gee-Gees would get on the board, bringing their deficit to 17-2. Ottawa would then follow that up by scoring a 27-yard field goal, bringing the score to 17-5.

The third quarter brought lots of opportunities for the McMaster Marauders as the Gee-Gees started to lose their ground. The Marauders took advantage of a low Gee-Gee snap with Jeremy Kyei bringing it back for a touchdown at 13:18 in the third quarter.

With 8:06 left to play in the third quarter, linebacker Joe Richardson once again levelled Ottawa QB Aaron Colbon. Wayne Moore came through with 24 yards to take McMaster to Ottawa's 45 yard line. The third quarter also saw Tyler Crapigna complete his second field goal of the game, bringing McMaster’s lead to 27-7.

Ferguson went down on an awkward-looking hit by the Gee-Gee defense and was slow to get up. He would eventually walk to the sidelines under his own power and continue to play the remainder of the quarter unscathed. Ottawa recovered from the fumble from Ferguson’s sack to take over the Marauders at their 40-yard line.

The Maroon and Grey would not disappoint in the fourth quarter, finishing the game on a strong note. Steven Ventresca stripped the ball off Colbon at Ottawa’s 50-yard line. QB Marshall Ferguson connected with wide receiver Ben O’Connor for a touchdown to bring the Mac lead to 34-7. McMaster once again brought the Gee-Gees back to their one-yard line, forcing Ottawa to make an offensive play.

Ventresca struck again in the fourth quarter, picking off Aaron Colbon’s pass for an 18-yard touchdown. The Ottawa Gee-Gee’s trailed Mac with a score of 41-7 with less then 10 minutes to play in regulation.

With a massive McMaster lead, the Marauders coaching staff decided to play back up quarterback Tyler Filson for the remaining minutes of the fourth quarter. McMaster ran down the clock and came away with their fourth straight win and the quarterfinal match with a final score of 41-7.

The Marauders will face either Queen's or Western in semifinals next week, pending the result of another quarterfinal match-up tonight between the U of Guelph Gryphons and UWindsor Lancers.

Photo c/o Rick Zazulak, McMaster Athletics