Marauder track finishes season with a bang

Laura Sinclair

Although the majority of the Marauder track team did not post personal best times, the team still did exceptionally well at the OUA Championship meet, with great results and races being posted in every distance.

In the 1000 m, women’s captain Chelsea Mackinnon ran while suffering from a minor concussion that she did not tell Coach Schnurr about.

“She probably shouldn’t have run the 1000 based on how she was feeling, and we didn’t do much all week based on some symptoms she was having but she felt she was okay to race on the Friday,” said Schnurr.

In the first three laps, Mackinnon looked great, but in the final two laps, she told Coach Schnurr after the race that she was not feeling like she could perform to her best potential.

Despite her setback, Mackinnon still ran to a great time of 2:59- 8 seconds off of her personal best time of 2:51.

Due to her symptoms, she decided to not run the 1500 m the next day.

In the men’s 1000 m race, Jeff Tweedle had great race, running in the fastest heat in the highly competitive race, and running to a time of 2:31.

“The 1000 was probably one of the toughest events to run this year, in terms of the quality of athletes. It was a great learning experience for him and I think he realized he can compete with the best,” said Schnurr.

Teammate Eric Barry ran to a personal best time of 2:32 in the same distance.

In the men’s 4x800 m relay, Eric Barry, Jeff Tweedle, Brandon Huzevka and Patrick Deane all ran well and were happy with their performance and overall time of 7:58.

In the women’s 3000 m, the Marauders lone CIS qualifier - Maddy McDonald - had an off day, running to a time of 10:04.

The Junior Pan Am Games silver medalist luckily managed to run the CIS standard at previous meets at McGill and Boston University, with her time of 9:34 at the meet in Boston getting her to be ranked fifth overall.

“She was really disappointed and she doesn’t want to end the season that way, so she’s determined to turn things around, and I think she will,” said Schnurr.

In the same race, Raquel Burgess ran to a 12-second personal best time in the event, finishing race at a time of 10:12 which was no easy task for the second-year runner.

“The last three laps she looked like she was struggling, but she was a tough competitor and she stuck with it, and it ended up working out,” said Schnurr.

Grad student Kierstin Myers also ran to a personal best time of 10:18 in the same event.

In the men’s 3000 m, captain Blair Morgan ran to a time of 8:42, while Gabe Ghiglione almost tied his personal best time, finishing the race with a time of 8:46.

“Gabe ran really tough, he’s a kid that just responds really well to when it gets hard and sticks with it, so I think he’s pleased, I think he was hoping to run faster, but I can’t complain in what he did,” said Schnurr.

In the men’s 600 m on the Saturday, Brandon Huzevka had an amazing performance, being in the second heat, and running to a personal best time of 1:21, which was faster than two runners in the fastest heat.

“He’s just proving to himself that he can compete with some of the best in Ontario,” said Schnurr.

Greg Hitchon also did well in the same event, finishing second overall in his section with a time of 1:23.

“He ran with confidence and he got to the front, and was willing to set the pace, and run hard, and he just got out-kicked in the end, so he was really pleased,” said Schnurr.

In the 4x400 m, the men’s team comprised of Richard Noel, Jeff Mah, Greg Hitchon and Brandon Huzevka finished off the meet well with a time of 3:24.

Overall, Schnurr was pleased with the performances at the OUA Championships, although the majority of the Marauders did not run their best time.

“It was a learning experience for a few athletes - so it’s always good to come away with that - although it didn’t go as well as you may have hoped, you learn from it and I think a few people did,” said Schnurr.

Next up for the Marauders track team will be a well-deserved break, for all athletes except for Maddy McDonald, who will be gearing up to run the 3000 m at the CIS Championships in Edmonton on March 7.