Mac track gets ready for OUAs

Laura Sinclair

After the Valentine Invitational meet at Boston University, Maddy McDonald is ranked fourth overall in the CIS.

McDonald, the OUA community service award recipient, ran to a time of 9:34 in the 3000 m, just two seconds off of her personal best time of 9:32 that she ran at the Junior National Championships last summer.

“She kind of tripped up near the end coming around the last corner, she probably would’ve run under 9:34 if that didn’t happen” said head coach Paula Schnurr.

McDonald was just milliseconds off of the McMaster record, which was set two years ago at the CIS Championships by stand-out Marauder runner and alumni, Lindsay Carson.

“Hopefully she can go after the record at CIS, because it’s going to be a good race,” added Schnurr.

At championship races, it’s hard to run to a good time, as the race becomes a lot more tactical.

The athletes race to win, rather than race for time, and Schnurr believes that McDonald is sure to be a medal contender, it will just all have to come down to the last lap of the race, where the girls will try and make their final kick to get past one another.

“It’s going to be a barn burner. It’s going to be an amazing race, the girls are so close, it’s going to come down to a kick.”

Although there are girls that have more speed than McDonald over shorter distances, her strength over the 3000 m distance is extremely encouraging for her position in the 3000 m race in March.

“There are girls that are a bit faster than Maddy over 1500, they have a bit more speed, but she’s certainly strong, so I think anything can happen at championships,” added Schnurr.

In the 1000 m, Chelsea MacKinnon ran to a personal best time of 2:51, which was exciting for her and the coaches, as they expected her to run to a time of 2:55.

“We thought anywhere around 2:55, or 2:54 would be great, so when she saw 2:51, and when we all saw 2:51, that was pretty awesome,” said Schnurr.

Schnurr said that the atmosphere at the track at Boston University is one that is filled with people who thrive from the energy and the atmosphere, and are excited to run fast.

There are many sections and the track is extremely fast, so the athletes are sure to stick with the pack and get carried to a great time.

So when McDonald and Mackinnon got the meet off to a great start with their races, the men’s team was very excited to hit the track the following day when all of the men’s races were taking place.

In the 1000 m, Jeff Tweedle raced extremely well, running to a huge personal best time of 2:27, while Eric Barry also posted a personal best time of 2:32.

In Tweedle’s race, his heat went out pretty slow, so he had to make up ground and work hard in the final lap to run to an impressive time.

In the 3000 m race, Blair Morgan ran to a time of 8:30, while Jordan Bierema was not too far behind, finishing the race in a time of 8:31.

While these six athletes ran their hearts out in Boston, the rest of the track team competed in Windsor, where they also managed to run to incredibly fast times.

Taylor Forbes was extremely impressive, running the 3000 m in a time of 8:26, running the race practically by himself.

His brother Austen was 10 seconds behind him, running an 8:36, while Gabe Ghiglione finished with a personal best time of 8:46.

The Forbes twins will switch their focus to triathlon training, which will mean they will have to sit out the OUA championships next weekend.

This gives Ghiglione a chance to prove himself in the 3000 m at the OUA championships alongside Morgan and Bierema.

Other highlights in Windsor include the women’s 3000 m, where Raquel Burgess ran to a personal best time of 10:24, while Kierstin Myers finished just behind her with the exact same time.

The Marauders are now looking forward to the OUA Championships at York University on Feb. 21-22, where they will attempt to keep up their momentum and qualify individually for the CIS Championships.