Mac starts 2015 with five-game win streak

sports

By: John Bauer

The McMaster women’s volleyball team came into the 2015 portion of their season looking to build off of a strong first half, and even stronger National Invitational Tournament in Toronto.

Though it was not always pretty, through the first three games of their January schedule, they have done just that.

The team visited London, Ont. for a match with the Western Mustangs on Jan. 10, in a game where they had to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. The team found themselves in an early two-set-to-one hole, and were taken to game point in the fourth set.

“We did not get the start we wanted to in the first set. We adjusted but it came down to the fourth set with Western having game point,” said outside hitter Rebecca Steckle. “We came into our circle and we looked each other in the eye and we knew we were not going to let them have that set. We fought for every point, and came together after each one whether we won or lost it and said to each other ‘the next one is ours’ – every time.”

The result was a convincing comeback in the set, and game, as the Maroon and Grey took the match 17-25, 25-12, 18-25, 30-28, 15-12. Joanna Jedrzejewska and Taylor Brisebois led the scoring with 18.5 and 18 points, respectively.

The team would secure a straight-sets victory in Windsor the next day, then head to Brock on Jan. 17. This game would also go to five sets, but a monster 22.5 points from Jedrzejewska would win the day.

While being taken to five sets by sub-.500 teams is not ideal for an OUA contender like McMaster, the players do not see it as a problem.

“Those were some of the most important games we have played all season,” said Steckle. “These kinds of games are the ones that allow you to learn who you are as a team. They force you to look your teammates in the eye and say to each other ‘we have this, we can do this.’ And we did it.”

Brisebois agreed with that sentiment.

“The five set matches are great learning experiences for us because they push us to the limit and we really have to fight in the end to come out on top. Our assistant coach made a good point the other day l that when it comes down to it we are playing for each other and the fight is in our own hands not anyone else’s.”

Next up for the team are visits from York and Nipissing this weekend. While the team is no doubt hoping for some shorter matches down the stretch, they will not shy away from adversity. In fact, Brisebois welcomes it.

“I’m excited to see what other struggles our team will overcome during the last few games of the season.”