Mac researchers receive $15.7 million grant

Scott Hastie
July 7, 2016

The federal government has given McMaster researchers a financial tip of the hat.

On June 23, the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council announced a $15.7 million funding grant as part of a nationwide $465 million project. Over 100 McMaster researchers will use the money. Minister of Science Kirsty Duncan made the announcement on campus and McMaster received the largest investment of all Canadian universities.

“The NSERC Discovery program is incredibly important to us as an institution,” said Patrick Deane, McMaster’s President, in a press release posted by Daily News McMaster.

“These awards support our scientists in their fundamental research efforts, their commitment to technology transfer and knowledge mobilization, and their training of the next generation of leaders.”

The grant specifically recognized ten scientists and engineers because they “show strong potential” to become industry leaders. These individuals will receive a Discovery Accelerator Supplement of $120,000 over three years.

McMaster’s use for the DAS is varied. Wildlife will get a look, as some researchers will explore the social behavior of fish, worm metabolism or the genetic mutations of flies.

Other projects include research into designing earthquake resilient buildings and mitigating risk with freight transportation.

Leyla Soleymani, an engineering physicist, spoke on behalf of those receiving the grant and explained what the new funding means to her.

“The additional resource of the Discovery Accelerator Supplement will allow me to add new members to my research team, which will accelerate my ability to create the handheld biosensor of the future – capable of detecting and diagnosing infectious diseases, cancers and medical conditions,” said Soleymani.

McMaster, regarded as one of the top research institutions in the world, should maintain its position with the windfall of money.