Mac poised for post-season run

For the third time in four years, the McMaster Marauders will be playing for a Yates Cup after topping the Ottawa Gee-Gees 42-31.

The wet, windy, and near-freezing conditions set the stage for the Nov. 8 OUA semi-final game between McMaster and Ottawa, with the winner punching their ticket to the 107th Yates Cup.

These two teams previously met on Oct. 25th in Ottawa, where the Gee-Gees won 38-18, ending McMaster’s bid for a perfect 8-0 season.

The game started off slow, with both teams trading two-and-outs and McMaster turning the ball over twice. Ottawa’s strategy was apparent early on as QB Derek Wendel threw deep multiple times attempting to stretch McMaster’s secondary to keep the Marauders defence honest.

It was not until the middle of the second quarter that the deadlock was broken with a Marauders field goal by Tyler Crapigna.

This was the beginning of a second quarter spurt by Mac and was followed by a Steven Ventresca interception, a Danny Vandervoort touchdown, a rouge and a Declan Cross score to put McMaster up 18-0 near the half.

The game looked as if it was turning into a blowout until Gee-Gees quarterback Derek Wendel unleashed a 58-yard touchdown pass to receiver Ian Stewart. A pair of two late field goals from Ottawa kicker Lewis Ward narrowed the margin and brought the score to 18-13 McMaster at half.

The Gee-Gees took advantage of their option to defer to receive the second-half kickoff by ending their opening drive with a 32-yard touchdown pass. Wendel found receiver Tristan Bailey in the endzone to give Ottawa their first lead of the game, 20-18.

Related: Highlights from McMaster's victory over Ottawa

At this point, the atmosphere in Ron Joyce Stadium began to change and the momentum was slowly shifting in Ottawa’s favour, but McMaster remained composed.

While Ottawa’s strength clearly lay in their aerial as- sault, McMaster turned to their ground game to pound the opposing defence. The two- pronged Marauder rushing attack of Chris Pezzetta and Wayne Moore overwhelmed the Gee-Gees front seven drive after drive.

Pezzetta had 17 carries for 143 yards and a touchdown. Moore has similar numbers with 16 carries for 99 yards and a touchdown. The Marauders ground game racked up a dominating 7.5 yards per carry.

The clincher for Mac came at 6:57 in the fourth when Marshall Ferguson lobbed a perfectly placed pass to the middle of the endzone for a diving touchdown reception by receiver Josh Vandeweerd to put Mac up 35-28.

Late in the fourth quarter, after the Marauders defence forced a huge third-down stop on the Gee-Gees, running back Chris Pezzetta put the game on ice with a 5-yard touchdown run to secure McMaster’s 42-31 victory.

Up next for the Marauders is arguably the hottest team in the country, the Guelph Gryphons. Since their week one loss at the hands of McMaster, Guelph has won eight straight, and made quick work of the Western Mustangs last weekend, 51-26. Granted, Western was nursing a myriad of injuries at key skill positions. Guelph has been on a rampage.

The Gryphons present themselves as a worthy opponent and obstacle standing in front of McMaster’s potential OUA championship since 2011.

Mac made a terrific comeback to beat Guelph 34-27 in the first week, but Guelph led for majority of the game before giving up the lead and losing the game in overtime. The Marauders are well aware that this Gryphons team is one that will give them a run for their money.

Trying to predict the outcome based on the original meeting between these two teams would be a mistake. Both squads have changed and matured in different ways over the past two months and are aware that new looks and schemes will be shown by both squads in Saturday’s heavyweight tilt.

Guelph blitzed the Marauders early and often, stymying the Mac offence and forcing halftime adjustments. Since then, their defensive line has grown and the Gryphons believe they can get pressure without constant blitzing.

Treat this as a totally different game between two totally different teams from the ones seen in Week 1. Both teams
are playing well and coming in with identical records.

It remains to be seen whether Gryphon QB Jazz Lindsey will be able to suit up, after leaving the Western game with a shoulder injury that has nagged him all season, according to the Guelph Mercury.

Kickoff time for the 107th Yates Cup is set for 1:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 15 at Ron Joyce Stadium.