Mac in pursuit of perfection

Scott Hastie

McMaster will play the most important game of this young OUA season on Sept. 22.

Off to an even better start than last year, when they were 2-1 after 3 games, the undefeated Marauders will host the Queen's Gaels, who are the only other team in the conference without a loss. Demanding their own share of league attention, this Kingston squad is coming off a win against the Western Mustangs on national television last weekend.

The McMaster team, at 3-0 on the season, has outscored opponents 163-46. Starting quarterback Kyle Quinlan is completing 76 per cent of his passes for tops in the OUA and has yet to play in the fourth quarter, as all three games have been blowouts.

The second most efficient quarterback in the province is McMaster back-up Marshall Ferguson, who has completed 74 per cent of his passes, one for a touchdown.

Billy McPhee, the Queen's starter, has completed 65 per cent of his passes.

"We are not complacent," said Marauders head coach Stefan Ptaszek. "We feel like we are starting at the bottom just like every body else, not necessarily defining a title, more trying to get another one."

It’s not easy to improve on a one-loss national title season, but so far, Mac is on pace to do just that.

"We are extremely focused on each week and getting better, not just relying on what we have accomplished," said Ptaszek.

However, contrary to what their record would suggest, things have not been perfect so far for the Marauders.

Prior to the beginning of the season, running back Christopher Pezzetta was sidelined for the remainder of the season with a torn ligament in his knee.

Pezzetta, a star of last year's season, is described by his coach as "probably one of the best north-south, downhill rushers in the country." There is no doubt that losing a player of Pezzetta's caliber is a blow to the rushing attack.

But the newly available touches have been shared by several backs that have proven to be more than adequate. Ptaszek doesn't see his system as "running by committee."

"Our philosophy has never been to give one guy all of the carries and tire him out to the point where he is exhausted by the playoffs.

"It was tough losing Chris but we have guys like Jimmy Hill and Kaesean Davis who are ready to come in and make plays," added Ptaszek.

Hill, a third-year back from Hamilton, has 197 yards and two touchdowns this year. The second-year back Davis, who played his high school football for St. Francis Xavier in Mississauga, has been the team’s leading rusher with 246 yards and a touchdown.

It is the run defence, though, that will need to perform on Saturday. Queen's most valuable weapon is Alberta-born running back Ryan Granberg. Last year, Granberg led the province in rushing and hasn't slowed down this year. If anything, Granberg, who has scored six touchdowns in three games, is looking even more difficult to stop this season.

The defence has not had to face an offensive test like Queen's that can both run and throw the ball effectively. Mac has also not faced a defence with as many playmakers.

One thing is for certain. Whether it is the CIS number-one ranked McMaster or number-five Queen's, the winner of this weekend's game will be fighting for the top spot in the OUA and the early favourites for this year's Yates Cup.

The game will kick off at 1 p.m. at Ron Joyce and it will be broadcast in the Hamilton area on Cable 14. Check @SilSports on Twitter for live updates on the most important game-day news.