#thetimeisnow

Mac Athletics celebrates 95th annual Awards Ceremony Linnaea Harper and Max Turek take home Athletes of the Year recognition at the 95th Annual McMaster Athletic Awards Ceremony

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedin
Photo C/O Noah Hoffman

The night of April 2 was the 95th Annual McMaster Athletic Awards Ceremony to celebrate Marauder excellence. The ceremony celebrated McMaster athletes and staff contributions on and off the court over the past year.

The highest honour, the McMaster Athletes of the Year, was awarded to Max Turek (Ivor Wynne Award) of the cross country team, and Linnaea Harper (Therese Quigley Award) of the women’s basketball team. Both led their team to Ontario University Athletics titles, and Harper went one step further, helping bring home the U Sports title for her team.

View this post on Instagram

Our 2018-19 Therese Quigley Female Athlete of the Year Award winner is Linnaea Harper! 🏀🏆 Linnaea Harper concluded her McMaster career in storybook fashion, and helped the Marauders to their fifth OUA banner before reaching unprecedented heights at the U SPORTS Championship. There, she was named as the tournament’s Most Valuable Player, as the Marauders clinched the first national title in their program’s history with a 70-58 win over the Laval Rouge et Or. Named as an OUA All-Star for the third consecutive season, Harper made a return to the conference’s first team after debuting there in 2017. She became just the seventh Marauder to crack the 1,000-point threshold, achieving that milestone on the final day of the regular season. Her total of 1,003 career points ranks seventh in McMaster’s history, while she sits third in career rebounds (621), tied for fifth in career steals (130) and seventh in career assists (236). Congratulations, Linnaea! 👏🏼 . . . #GoMacGo #MACies

A post shared by McMaster Athletics (@mcmastersports) on

Graduating seniors Hilary Hanaka, starting guard of the women’s basketball team, and Andrew Richards, men’s volleyball’s starting left side, took home the outstanding graduating student-athlete awards, the Dr. Edna Guest and Dr. Ray Johnson Awards, respectively.

Both athletes have displayed outstanding on- and off-court excellence. Richards and Hanaka had already been recognized by U Sports for their community work this season, so it was only fitting that they took home this honour as well.

McMaster’s Rookies of the Year award the Mel and Marilyn Hawkrigg Award, was given to lacrosse player Mitch Pellarin and wrestler Ligaya Stinellis. Stinellis captured a silver medal in the 48kg weight class in her first trip to the OUA Championships, and made McMaster history by becoming the first Marauder woman to win the conference’s Rookie of the Year award.

Pellarin ended the season as McMaster’s leading scorer with 19 goals and 11 assists, which was the highest scoring total among rookies in the Canadian University Field Lacrosse Association.

Claudia Continenza, of the women’s soccer team, took home the Les Prince Award for her community service work, and women’s hockey president and student therapist Laura Gelowitz won the Bruce Cochrane award for her service to the Athletics Department.

The Joyce Wignall Award, given to a team in recognition of their charitable contributions as a group, was given to the McMaster men’s rugby team for their various charitable efforts throughout the year.

The night of celebrating excellence was capped off by awarding 51 team MVPs from McMaster’s sport teams at the varsity and club level, student-athletes who have competed for four seasons while maintaining good academic standing and coaches who have reached benchmarks in their years of service.

All in all, whether athletes had their their season cut short, or managed to come out on top as provincial or national champions, the annual Awards Ceremony once again rightfully honoured the hard work put in by all the various members of the Marauders athletic community over the past year.

Comments

Share This Post On

Author: Jessica Carmichael

Sharing the same birthday but not the same salary as Houston Rockets' Chris Paul, Jessica spends most of her days not practicing her free throw. In addition to studying communications and media, Jessica dedicates the majority of her time to flag football and watching an endless amount of sports documentaries. Looking for her own Last Chance U pet project, Jessica is committed to covering sports beyond the box score and faceless stats.