Lightcraft takes off

Arts and Culture

By: Vanessa Polojac

With a new EP, Another Life out on Nov. 22 Jakarta-based Indonesian indie-rock/ dream-pop quartet Lightcraft transport audiences through their soft melodic instrumentations and melancholic lyrics.

Formed in 2004 when they were still studying in Kuala Lumpur, Maylasia, Lightcraft was originally a quintet but recently lost a band member. Now the band consists of members Imam Mbudz (vocals and guitar), Safarilhag Febrain Kiaidemak (lead guitar), Enrico Prabowo Siek (piano/keyboard) and Yopi Santosa Sasmita (drums).

“We went to the same university in Maylasia and we’re all Indonesian. I accidentally rented the same place as my future guitarist and he introduced me to the others so we formed Lightcraft,” explained Mbudz.

Over the past 12 years, Lightcraft has released two EPs, three albums, a mini-compilation cassette tape and is currently writing a fourth album set to be released in 2017. From their 2006 debut EP, The Modern Seasons, the band has evolved both lyrically and instrumentally since their debut.

“We have matured as a band but not as people,” joked Mbudz.

Despite being more than halfway around the world, North American indie acts such as Mac DeMarco are extremely popular in Indonesia while also having their own set of successful bands.

Lightcraft is heavily inspired by early 2000s Coldplay and is nostalgically bringing back acoustically based tunes with keyboard instrumentation.

“I am heavily influenced by bands like Snow Patrol and Coldplay and even electronic music but when we mix it all together it comes out as Lightcraft,” said Mbudz.

Lightcraft has plenty of experience playing live. They have performed on stages and festivals in Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Singapore, Taiwan, Canada, America, England and South Korea. The band members have experienced the world and have noticed differences in their audience across continents.

“They’re all quite different in terms of how they show their appreciation. In Asia they’re more reserved. When we play in the United States, Canada and Europe, when people like us, they will approach us and tell us how much they like our band and in Asia they don’t do that,” explained Mbudz.

Back in April 2016, Lightcraft wrapped up their North American tour, which encompassed two showcases at Canadian Music Week 2016. They made a return to Canada this month to play shows in Toronto and Hamilton.

Being an international band causes many difficulties for Lightcraft but also gives them many advances as well. Another Life consists of five mesmerizing tracks. The EP opens up with broken piano chords from the instrumental track titled “A Perfect Kaleidoscope” which sets the mood by creating a hypnotizing and hazy atmosphere. From lust to heartbreak, Another Life covers a wide range of lyrical topics and is described as by the band members as “music to sooth your heart.”

“The EP is a reintroduction of Lightcraft I suppose. I hope that the listeners will enjoy the EP and take to the heart the messages that are trying to come across in the songs.”