Kyle Quinlan signs with the Montreal Alouettes

Sam Colbert
December 21, 2012
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

McMaster Marauders quarterback Kyle Quinlan has signed with the CFL's Montreal Alouettes.

“I'm definitely excited to have an opportunity to keep playing football,” said the quarterback to McMaster's athletics and recreation department. “I'm glad it's in Montreal, because my short time with the Alouettes last year was such a positive experience."

The deal was completed on Thursday evening.

If Quinlan makes the Alouettes, he will likely be in a back-up role behind Anthony Calvillo, who announced this week that he would be back with the team for the 2013 season. Calvillo holds the all-time record for passing yards in the CFL.

Quinlan attended the Alouettes training camp in May, but was cut from the team, leading him back to McMaster to play out his final season of university football eligibility.

Alouettes general manager Jim Popp told media outlets that Quinlan would have a real chance to make the team this time around.

Quinlan earned national attention during his time with McMaster's football squad, leading the Marauders to their first national championship with 2011's Vanier Cup victory. Although the Marauders fell to the Laval Rouge et Or in 2012's Vanier Cup rematch, Quinlan was awarded the Hec Crighton Trophy for being the top player in the CIS.