#thetimeisnow

In the kitchen with Grant Whittaker Simple yet decadent mushroom ragù recipe

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedin
Photos C/O Hannah Walters-Vida, Sasha Dhesi

Print recipe here!

This mushroom ragù recipe is multi-purposeful and versatile. While simple to make, it looks and tastes decadent and earthy. Mushroom ragù is traditionally prepared as a main course and paired with chicken, pork or beef but this recipe calls for a vegetarian twist. It can also make a great appetizer served with toasted points or crostini.

Any variety of cheese will work well for topping the dish, including parmesan, goat, blue or cream cheese. The Hamilton Farmers’ Market and other local grocers carry a great selection of tofu cream cheese if you choose to make this dish vegan. Use your imagination and garnish with fresh herbs like chives, thyme and parsley or serve with a simple arugula salad dressed with olive oil and lemon.

The entire dish is easy to prepare in under 45 minutes but it’s packed with flavour, making it an impressive dish to serve.

The Chef: Grant Whittaker

Rocking a black bandana with the well-derived title ‘chef’ written out in boldface, Whittaker can be found behind his Best on Bread counter at the Hamilton Farmers’ Market making a mean slow roasted porchetta for market-goers and catering clients. With twenty years of experience, Whittaker started off learning recipes at an Italian restaurant in his youth, became head chef at wineries in Grimsby and Niagara and served quite a storm in some of Hamilton’s favourite food trucks. He incorporates his taste for decadent ingredients into everything he cooks up, making even the simplest of dishes reminiscent of a fine dining experience.  

Features Reporter Hannah Walters-Vida trying out the recipe at home.

Mushroom ragù Ingredients:

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 shallot or onion, chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 460 g mushrooms, chopped (white, portobello, cremini or shitake)
  • 1 tsp thyme or rosemary, diced
  • ¼ cup parsley, diced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Splash of water or white wine (optional)
  • 2/3 heavy cream 35% (optional)

Managing Editor Sasha Dhesi tried the recipe! She served the ragu with butternut squash gnocchi. She added roasted brussel sprouts to add some texture and greens to the meal.

Mushroom ragù directions:

1. Preheat a pan over medium heat, add olive oil.
  2. Sauté chopped shallots or onions until soft and add the garlic.
  3. Add mushrooms to the pan and cook for five minutes before adding white wine (or water).
  4. Add butter, thyme or rosemary and season with salt and pepper before adding the cream.
  5. Reduce heat and let simmer for about five more minutes or until thickened.
  6. Serve with pasta, polenta, risotto or as an appetizer on crostini. Top the dish off with your choice of cheese.

Features Reporter Hannah Walters-Vida’s take on this recipe.

Comments

Share This Post On

Author: Razan Samara

Razan's passion for student journalism began when she picked up her first copy of the Sil. Since then, she's been the Arts & Culture Reporter, Arts & Culture Editor and Online Manager. When she's not in the Sil's dungeon office, you'll likely find her working in the community or grabbing a bite at the Hamilton Farmer's Market.