Idle No More rally moves through campus

Anqi Shen
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

A group of more than 30 students, professors and community members gathered on campus this morning to raise awareness for the Idle No More campaign. The rally was organized in solidarity with community action in 25 cities across Canada opposing Prime Minister Harper's leadership on various issues.

The rally at McMaster, organized by members of the McMaster First Nations Students Association (MFNSA) and the Indigenous Studies Program, began at the Cootes Drive parking lot. Participants carried signs with messages including "Stop Carbon Emissions Before It's Too Late" and "Where is our democracy?"

The group moved toward the centre of campus and congregated outside Mills Library, where Lester Green, a speaker visiting from Six Nations, addressed the crowd about the environmental concerns and educational goals of the movement. Following Green's speech, Idle No More supporters participated in a dance-around.

Christa Jonathan, President of MFNSA, said the campus demonstration follows in the footsteps of similar campus rallies. The Indigenous Studies Program has also held teach-ins over the past two weeks in the Student Centre.

"We just want everyone to know that everyone's treaty people. The Bill [C-45] doesn't just affect aboriginal people - It affects us all," she said.

"It goes back to education," said Green, after the rally. "You have to understand the past, present and future in order to have that better future."

Some members of the campus demonstration joined the larger Idle No More Hamilton initiative downtown later in the afternoon.