Thanksgiving dinner is predictable. You’ve got your roasted turkey, tin can-shaped cranberry sauce, and squishy JELLO-like pumpkin pie. It’s all very delicious, but a change can be too.
Mac Farm Stand offers a variety of fresh fruit and vegetables that can easily be incorporated into your standard Thanksgiving meal to jazz it up and inject new flavours. Here are two easy recipes that can be thrown together with the help of Farm Stand ingredients.
Golden Delicious Baked Apples
A great dessert on its own, or served alongside a healthy sliver of pumpkin pie
– 4 large apples (Farm Stand)
– ¼ cup brown sugar
– 1 tbsp. cinnamon
– ¼ cup chopped pecans (optional)
– 1 tbsp. butter
– ¾ cup boiling water
– Honey (Farm Stand)
Yield: 4 servings
1) Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. While your oven is heating up, core your apples, making sure you remove all seeds. Leave about 2.5 cm of apple at the bottom of the fruit, and gauge the cored centres to be around 3 cm in diameter.
2) In a bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon and pecans. Place your apples in a baking pan and stuff each fruit with this newly created mixture. Top each apple core off with a pat of butter.
3) Add the boiling water to the bottom of the pan and bake for around 30-40 minutes, or until apples are tender (read: not mushy, that’s dutty). Remove your apples from the oven and baste with the juices from the bottom of the pan. Drizzle a small amount of honey over each apple.
Farm Fresh Raspberry Sauce
A tasty alternative to pre-packaged cranberry sauce.
– ¼ of an onion, finely chopped (Farm Stand)
– 60 mL red wine
– 1 chicken bouillon cube or small chicken stock pot
– ½ cup water
– 30 mL honey (Farm Stand)
– 5 mL corn flour mixed with water
– 45 mL raspberries, mashed or gently pureed (Farm Stand)
Yield: 4 servings
1) Sautee onions in a pan on medium heat until tender. Add red wine and allow to cook for a minute or two.
2) Mix in chicken stock, water and honey.
3) Let simmer for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in flour paste and raspberries. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until thickened.