Hot trailer takes with ANDY: Trainwreck

Tomi Milos

Great, a Judd Apatow rom-com that he both wrote and directed. The last two rom-coms that Apatow did the same on were Knocked Up and This Is 40, with the former being insufferable for its bro-inflected humour and the latter being criminal in that you will have turned forty yourself by the time it finally finishes and spares you from your misery.

Trainwreck looks like it’ll appeal to the type who annoyingly launch into pseudo-philosophical tirades about the downfalls of monogamy at a party when everyone is just trying to have a good time.

As the Apatow newcomer, Amy Schumer, seems to slot effortlessly into the role normally occupied by Seth Rogen, that of the heartless bachelor/ette whose heavy drinking lifestyle is supposed to endear her to the American masses.

Schumer works at a men’s magazine in New York where she is assigned a profile on a leading sports doctor played by Bill Hader, who might be the movie’s saving grace.

Always one for racial equality, Apatow enlists the help of a benchwarmer from NBA bottom feeders, the Cleveland Cavaliers, to play Hader’s Downton Abbey buddy. When you have LeBron James as your token black man, it either means Kevin Hart was busy or you’re doing well for yourself.

I think that the idea behind the film is to make a certain brand of white liberal feel like they are not as bad as the people they are watching on screen. Sounds like a right trainwreck to me.