Hoco wrap-up

Cullum Brownbridge

Still undefeated
There is a reason for the McMaster women’s rugby team ranking no. 1 in the Canadian Interuniversity Sport rankings.

Following their dominant win over Queen’s, Mac hit the road on Oct. 1 to face the Trent Excalibur. The difference in skill level was on full display, as the Marauders won 67-5 in convincing fashion, giving Trent their fourth loss of the season.

First-year centre Maddi Cohen scored a pair of tries on the day, leading the team in scoring.

Sara Svoboda kicked four conversions in the game, adding to her team-leading point total (42), which ranks sixth in the Ontario University Athletics conference.

The win puts the Marauders at 4-0, who — along with the Guelph Gryphons — remain undefeated in OUA competition, and are first in the Russell division. Their last match of the season takes place on Oct. 6 at Ron Joyce Stadium, where they take on the 3-1 Western Mustangs.

Late game heroics
It took all of 89 minutes for the first goal of the game to be scored.

But first-year Maila Carboni found the mark. Scoring her team-leading fifth goal of the season, giving the women’s soccer team a hard-fought 1-0 win over the Windsor Lancers.

Saving 10 shots on goal, first-year goal keeper Deana Persico continued her strong season, registering her third shutout in four games and kept the Marauders in the game.

Carboni’s late goal gave Windsor their first loss of the season. Meanwhile, thanks to three wins in the past four games, the Marauders are currently sitting on the playoff bubble at seventh place.

Their next two games take place on the road, where they travel to face the Algoma Thunderbirds in back-to-back games on Oct. 15 and 16.

Algoma has a 0-44-0 record and a -388 goal differential over the last three years. This game is a prime opportunity to break into the playoff picture.