Hamilton Summer Bucket List

Amanda Watkins
April 3, 2014

Whether you’re a Hamilton native looking to reignite your love for the city, staying in your student house for the first time over the summer, or just passing through and happened to pick up a copy of this, follow this map for guaranteed summer fun.

Play the “Name that Bird Game”: Walk on over to the Aviary (85 Oak Knoll Drive) where you can lounge in the gardens, visit the splash pad (if that’s your thing), or take a tour of the bird facilities and try guessing their species. What is that thing that looks like both a dove and a chicken? Is “grey” a breed of parrot?

And on your walk over, admire how beautiful the non-student housing is, and comment on how confusing Hamilton is for having three streets named Dalewood, all within Westdale.

Read…for fun: Visit the independent bookseller Bryan Prince (1060 King Street West), the second hand bookstore, The Bookworm (852 King Street West), or get a library card from the Westdale Library (955 King Street West) and sign out a whole bunch of books. No post-it notes or highlighters required.

Stalk deer in Cootes: Go for a casual stroll or a treacherous trek through one of the many paths connected to Cootes Paradise. Known for its flora and fauna, devote an afternoon to basking in the glory of mother nature and taking time to appreciate the bountiful deer population of Hamilton. Don’t forget to bring snacks and a camera!

Visit the planetarium: Aside from housing lecture halls and libraries, McMaster is also home to Hamilton’s only planetarium. Located in the basement of BSB, the planetarium hosts shows throughout the year. Check their website for their upcoming showtimes.

Get your tealeaves read: Head to the Vintage Garden Tea Room on Locke for a warm beverage, pastries, and a foreboding glimpse into your future. For the low price of $12, get your tealeaves read and have a ponder or two about your future. Make sure you make a reservation beforehand to guarantee a spot!

You gotta eat here: John Catucci of Food Network fame proclaimed this Locke Street favourite, Bread Bar, as one of Canada’s best restaurants on his popular show You Gotta Eat Here. Along with BB, The Black Forest Inn (255 King Street East) has also made the prestigious list.

Stay out at ArtCrawl all night: This Steel City tradition that turns the second Friday of every month into an open street art festival along James North and its surrounding areas, also encourages late night bar and restaurant hours for you to enjoy through the wee hours of the morning. Challenge yourselves to stay out all night and end your night/ start your morning with breakfast at the John Street Diner (29 John Street North) or Wimpy’s (771 Queenston Road). Don’t forget a flask and a toothbrush!

Pretend to be a food blogger: Take a stroll downtown and have a seat at a restaurant you’ve never tried before. James, John, King and King William offer loads of unique Hamilton restaurants serving up Thai, Mexican and Indian cuisine among others. Snap a few pictures of your meal and pretend to be a foodie of Instagram. Or write a Yelp review and feel your inner Guy Fiyerri come out. Check out some of our restaurant reviews for recommendations! 

Take a trip to the waterfront: If the most you know about Hamilton Harbour is that it’s next to the 407, then it’s high time you headed to the waterfront. Go for a picnic at Bayfront Park, take a stroll or go bike riding along the water’s edge trail, go roller skating at the outdoor derby rink, or sip a coffee at the Williams overlooking the harbour. You can even take a ride along the trail on a trolley ($5) or go on a guided boat tour ($11.50). It’s the perfect place for warm days and romantic evenings.

Go to a club on a Tuesday: While calm summer days are not always conducive to late club nights, try running through Hess on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening. Most venues are open offering live music and an overall very chill scene for patio drinks and relaxation. While you’re there, make your first sober trip to Smoke’s and discover how unpleasant their food is when you haven’t already had 6 shots of gin.

Go to the farmer’s market: Spend a day picking out fresh fruits and vegetables and chatting with elderly farmers at the Dundas Farmer’s Market, which reopens June 12. Side note: All I’m saying is the last time I went to the Dundas Farmer’s Market I met Justin Trudeau. So you should probably hang out there more often.

Visit a waterfall: Hamilton is the waterfall capital of the world. THE WORLD. Visit one of the 120 nearby shoots on a hot summer day, and be sure to pack a bathing suit as swimming is permitted (in some cases). The Darnley Cascade and Chedoke Falls are popular destinations, just be sure to plan your route well in advance, as they are not the easiest places for commuting. But after you’ve set your sights on the cascading beauties, the experience will definitely be worth the extra effort.