Greener buses arrive in Hamilton as service increases

Anqi Shen

Forty-one new HSR buses are now on the streets in the Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale area. The aim of the City’s initiative is to provide local residents with improved service while using greener vehicles for better air quality.

Of the 41 new buses, only four will contribute to route extension, while the remaining 37 will replace older models that are less fuel-efficient and have reached their 12-year lifespan.

The newer buses are mini-hybrid models with electric cooling fans that reduce the amount of energy needed to cool the engine. The buses weigh 1000 pounds less than previous models and have a new transmission designed for smoother operation and increased fuel economy.

Mayor Bob Bratina said in a press release that public transportation is a key strategic priority for City Council.

“These new buses will allow the HSR to provide increased capacity and more reliable transit service to our riders," he said in the release. "We hope Hamiltonians will consider leaving their car at home more often and taking transit instead.”

The total cost of the new buses is $18.8 million, $6 million of which comes from the City of Hamilton’s Gas Tax Fund allocation from the federal government. The City contributed $1.13 million to the project and Transit Reserves provided the remaining $11.67 million.

As of Sept. 2, service level increases affecting students and residents are also in effect.

5A/ 5C West Hamilton
(Saturdays and Sundays)

Buses are now departing to and from Ancaster Meadowlands every 30 minutes on weekends from approximately 6 a.m. to 12 a.m. This provides additional direct service from the Westdale/University area to the stores, restaurants and services in the Meadowlands.

43 Stone Church
(Saturdays and Sundays)

Buses now run every 60 minutes on Saturday evenings (approximately
7 p.m. to 1 a.m.) and during shopping hours on Sundays (10 a.m. to 6 p.m.).

44 Rymal
(Weekdays)

Expanded service has been added every hour during the midday and early evening.
#44 Rymal will now operate between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m.

One additional westbound and eastbound trip has been added to 51 University in the evenings, and minor trip adjustments have been made to 41 Mohawk on Sundays and Holidays to provide better connections with the new 5A/5C route.