From Vincent Samuel, Conservative candidate Hamilton West-Ancaster-Dundas

Dear students,

Although this is my first time running for public office, I have helped out in local campaigns for many years –and if someone ever tells you your vote doesn’t matter, know that I’ve seen people win elections with as few as 11 votes.

Your vote definitely matters.

I came to Canada in 1989 with my wife and daughter, and have lived in this riding for over 20 years. Like you, I had the privilege of studying at McMaster University, from where I graduated with a BScN. Working in healthcare in our riding allowed me to get to know and advocate for folks from all backgrounds, ages and walks of life.

You’re probably wondering why the Conservative Party?

Over the past decade, Conservatives have introduced measures that are helping Canadian students just like you, gain improved access to post-secondary education and the training they require for high quality jobs.

Here’s some of the ways we’ve done this:

• In 2012, we eliminated interest on new and existing loans for part-time students during their studies, making education more affordable and on average, saving part-time students nearly $350 annually.
  • We enhanced and expanded eligibility for Canada Student Loans and Grants for part-time and full-time post-secondary students with an investment of over $34 million a year once fully implemented.
  • We provided up to $10 million a year in tax relief and Registered Education Savings Plan assistance to the increasing number of Canadian post-secondary students who study abroad.
  • We provided $10 million to develop and implement an international education strategy that will reinforce Canada as a country of choice to study and conduct world-class research.

We are building on these measures by:

• Investing $65 million to support business and industry associations working with willing post-secondary institutions to better align curricula with the needs of employers
  • Making the Canada Student Loans Program work better for families by reducing the expected parental contribution under the needs assessment process
  • Expand the eligibility for the Canada Student Loans Program, by eliminating in-study income and student-owned vehicles from needs assessment process, so that students aren't penalized for working and driving during their studies
  • Investing $2 million over two years, starting in 2016-17, to expand the Computers for Schools program, extending access to refurbished computer equipment to non-profit organizations such as those that support low-income Canadians, seniors and new Canadians

What is not lost on us is that although Canada boasts high levels of post-secondary achievements, too many graduates are unemployed or underemployed. That is one of the reasons our Government has also taken steps to promote education in fields where there is high demand from employers, so that Canadians can meet the realities of the job market.

Under the leadership of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, our government has created over 1.3 million stable, well-paying jobs and we have pledged to create 1.3 million more. Another great accomplishment we’ve had more recently is our partnership in the Trans Pacific Partnership. One in five Canadian jobs are linked to export and trade, and this agreement means the creation of many more of these well-paying, high skilled jobs.

Lastly, we have developed specific initiatives to help young Canadians make a successful transition into the labour market by:

• Increasing funding for the Youth Employment Strategy, investing over $330 million annually in youth programming to provide skills development and work experience for youth at risk, summer students and recent post-graduate students
  • Supporting 5,000 more paid internships for recent post-secondary graduates and confirming support for Pathways to Education Canada, a not-for-profit organization that works with youth to increase rates of high school completion
  • Investing up to $14 million in ‘Futurpreneur Canada’, from 2015-2017, to support young entrepreneurs
  • Funding about 1,000 internships in 2014-2015 through the National Research Council's Industrial Research Program in innovative small- and medium-sized companies

And by enabling Canadians to save more for their child's education by increasing the lifetime limit on RESP contributions, increasing the annual Canada Education Savings Grant amount, and expanding RESP access to part-time and apprenticeship students

These measures specific to students, as well as those for all Canadians including our low tax, balanced plan for the economy are why I am proud to be your Conservative candidate.

Elections should be about more than rhetoric, they should be about responsible leadership. Leadership requires being able to look at all aspects of life and deal with the issues that matter to all Canadians. On October 19th, I ask you to vote for the proven leadership of our Prime Minister Stephen Harper, and vote for me as your Member of Parliament.

I look forward to representing you.

Sincerely,

Vincent Samuel