Forward spot in good hands

Sofia Mohamed

The announcement of commits to join the McMaster basketball family is always an interesting one. Players, both local and global, find their place in a basketball program contending with the best.

It is inevitable that the talent of some recruits brings more attention than others and some players get to play more minutes on CIS hardwood.

Second-year forward Connor Gilmore knew he wanted to play for the Maroon and Grey. Though there was recruiting interest from schools in Canada and the United States, the choice was an easy one for him.

“Mac was a much better fit for me. I liked the facilities and the academics and coaches are really good,” said Gilmore.

Gilmore came into the program the same year center Taylor Black was finishing his five years of basketball at McMaster. Looking up to the all-star player and program veteran in the position made the transition an easier one. His first year did not come with many minutes on the court, but Gilmore was able to play behind one of the best players in his position in the league. That experience contributed to a great year of learning.

“I knew I could learn a lot from Taylor and help make the team better going forward,” said Gilmore.

Having played for Cushing Academy, a prep school in Massachusetts before committing to McMaster, Gilmore led his team and gained accolades for his work on the court.

The adjustment from high school basketball to the CIS level can be a hard one.

“It’s a different transition. It’s a lot more structured defensively and it’s a lot harder,” said Gilmore.

With his first season playing Marauder basketball behind him, Gilmore has found a comfortable spot on the team and more noticed confidence in his play. A lot of hard work took place in the off-season for Gilmore to produce. Working with the coaches and strength and conditioning staff made him a stronger player.

With the regular season around the corner for the team, the confidence in Gilmore’s performance in the pre-season is apparent. He played big minutes, positioned himself well and knocked down threes skillfully. With his six foot seven frame, outside shooting is not always the most natural choice for a player of that stature and position.

In the last exhibition game against Saint Mary’s, Gilmore scored a career-high of 23 points. Comparing that to his regular season best of ten last year, it is obvious that his talent will shine this season.

“We bring a competitive standard to every game. We have certain stats that we want to keep teams below. We have certain standards that we set for ourselves going into every game,” said Gilmore.

A big reason for Gilmore choosing McMaster was its closeness to home and family. “My dad is the biggest influence in my basketball life. He was the one who introduced me to the game. He taught me how to shoot and he taught me other ways to play as my coach for ten years. Him and my brother have pushed me to be the best player I can be. It was really good to learn from both of them.”

Sometimes a quieter season brings improvement and a chance to make noise in a team that competes for minutes. Starting only his second year of eligibility, McMaster basketball fans can expect to see more of the talent that Connor Gilmore possesses.