Food for thought

Lauren O'Donnell

Memory retention is a lot like water retention, save for the fact that you do not want your memory being expelled from your body anytime soon.

When studying, researching or attempting to scrounge the details of a hazy Friday night, it is always beneficial to have an effective memory and be able to recall details that may be helpful in completing a test or assignment or recollecting drunken festivities among other school-related activities.

If you are looking to improve your memory skills, here are a few ingredients to look for when grocery shopping that will help keep your mind running smoothly.

Flavonoids

Not only is this word fun to say, the flavonoid compound has been proven to improve memory, learning and general cognitive function, decision making, verbal comprehension and numerical ability. So, calculus and communications students alike, take note: foods rich in flavonoids can help retain vital information and up the ante of your presentations and pop quizzes.

Add to your grocery list: blueberries, apples, cabbage, tomatoes; (look for labels with Quercetin and Anthocyanins, two common types of flavonoids)

Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Hearing the term “fatty acids” might turn you off from picking up an item with this ingredient, but Omega-3s are an essential part of human health and help with brain function and normal growth and development. When lacking in Omega-3s, common side effects include poor memory, fatigue, mood swings and depression. So keep up your levels of this fatty acid and reap the benefits of on the ball work habits. BONUS: it also helps reduce your risk of heart disease and inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.

Add to your grocery list: flax seeds, walnuts, salmon, tofu, shrimp and soy beans

B Vitamins

Vitamins B6, B9 and B12 have two things in common - they’re all divisible by three and they have all been noted to help improve memory and brain function. Vitamin B helps with the communication between the nervous system and the brain by forming and releasing neurotransmitters. These neurotransmitters help with concentration, awareness and mental clarity.

Add to your grocery list: yogurt, almonds, potatoes, mushrooms and whole grain cereals