Finding love in a hopeless place: the DOs and DON'Ts

insideout

By: Jamie Hillman

The cold weather is quickly approaching, and it's the perfect time to snuggle with someone near the fireplace, sipping hot chocolate. But, what if you can't find that special someone to share the romantic, winter nights with? Meeting people at school can be challenging, especially in a crowded lecture hall. If you're looking for someone to spend some time with in the upcoming chill, here are some tips that will make meeting people a little easier.

DO: attend your tutorials. It's a lot easier to talk to people when you're in a small group, and a collaborative environment allows you to get to know your classmates on a more personal level.

DO: join a group on campus. This is a great way to meet people that share similar hobbies, making it much easier to strike up conversation.

DO: start up a study group. Ask some people in class, or on a Facebook group, if anyone wants to meet up to review before an exam. This allows you to not only study for a test, but also to find someone to sit with in future classes.  You’ll be putting the “date” in “study-date” in no time.

DON'T: be shy during class. If people see that you're willing to participate, it makes you appear more sociable and approachable. Confidence looks good on everyone.

DON'T: go home every weekend. Make plans with your housemates to meet some other students that live in your area. Knock on your neighbours door, and invite them over to have a few drinks and get to know each other.

DON’T: be afraid of sparking up a conversation with that young lad or lass sitting across from you. Don’t be afraid to pursue that chemistry (1A03, for example). And don’t be afraid to let the sparks fly where they may.

With the seasonal cups coming out at Starbucks, and the holiday season just around the corner, it’s the perfect time to meet that special someone to help keep you warm this winter.