Fall into a new season of TV

andy

Tobi Abdul
The Silhouette

I am the kind of person who can't hang out because I have a date with Netflix. I am also the kind of person who will stare at you in confusion if you answer, "I don't know, I don't really watch TV much, I don't like it" when I ask you what your favourite TV show is. If you've ever answered anything similar, I only have one thing to say to you: your life is a lie. For the rest of you normal people who appreciate the complexities of modern TV, we can all rejoice because fall is finally here. Sure, leaves are pretty and football is awesome, but let's face it, the real reason we're so excited is because we can finally find out what's happening to Callie and Arizona. Here is a day-by-day look at my Monday to Friday recommendations. There are tons more shows out there, but this is what I'll be watching when I should be doing homework.

Monday

Apparently even TV hates Mondays. Maybe it's better that way since there's something unsettling about looking forward to a Monday anyway.

How I Met Your Mother (CBS, 8:00 p.m.)

Yes, I know, we've had enough. And yet we tune in, either of out of loyalty or out of some irresistible curiosity. The last season where we can finally find out who decided to put poor Ted Moseby out of his misery by marrying him.

Almost Human (November 4th, FOX, 8:00 p.m.)

Cop show meets sci-fi with eye candy Michael Ealy as an android. It could probably go either way, but to me it seems promising. J.J. Abrams brings us a new drama featuring human cops who are partnered with highly intelligent androids.

Tuesday

Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX, 8:30 p.m.)

My first thought was "Really? Another cop drama starring...Andy Samberg? And Andre Braugher? Ew." But once I had heard that it came from two Parks and Rec writers, I decided to give it a shot. It's actually really funny, and Samberg is loveable as Det. Peralta, although it’s not especially different from his other roles.

New Girl (FOX, 9:00 p.m.)

If you're not watching New Girl, you're doing something wrong. Schmidt, Winston, Nick, and Jess are unlike any characters we have on TV, especially now that Happy Endings has been cancelled (still not over that one). New Girl definitely needs some new storylines, but I think its best days are ahead of us. If not, whatever, Schmidt happens.

Luther (BBC, 9:00 p.m.)

If there's one thing the British are great at, it's amazing TV. Detective John Luther is one of the most three-dimensional characters on TV and he stands by the idea that sometimes you have to blur the lines of right and wrong in order to do something good.

The Mindy Project (FOX, 9:30 p.m.)

Mindy Kaling's trying to revive the sexy, single, 30-something that seems to have been overshadowed by all the sexy, single, 20-somethings who are on TV right now. The one liners are superb and Dr. Mindy Lahiri, like most of us out there, is trying to find the balance between finding love and eating a tub of ice cream on the couch in your PJs at 4 p.m  on Saturday.

Wednesday

Whoever did the Wednesday night programming sucks. Its conflicting times for shows that have basically the same viewer base (housewives and morbid people) is frustrating and makes no sense.

Criminal Minds (CBS, 9:00 p.m.)

The BAU shows no signs of slowing down and I really want to see where they're going to go with character develop.m.ent after the tragic ending of the last season. Definitely looking forward to seeing Matthew Gray-Gubler on my screen again.

L&O: SVU (NBC, 9:00 p.m.)

I'm probably one of two loyal followers of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit after 14 seasons but I just can't get enough. I mean did you SEE last season's finale?! Try not to binge-watch this show though, unless you want to lose all faith in humanity.

Thursday

There is too much mind-blowing happening on Thursdays for me to fully comprehend.

Grey's Anatomy (Sept 26, ABC 9:00 p.m.)

I'm trying not to think about the fact that this will be the end for Christina Yang. Like with every new Grey's season, there are a lot of loose ends to be tied up and I really hope Shonda Rhimes is less cruel to us this season. Let's also hope that Arizona is less painful to be around.

Michael J. Fox Show (Sept 26, NBC 9:30 p.m.)

I'm pretty picky with my sitcoms but I'm really excited to see how Michael J Fox plays this one. The show is loosely based on his life, and I think can go either way. If the trailer tells us anything, there are enough Parkinson's jokes to last us the entire season.

Parenthood (Sept 26, NBC 10:00 p.m.)

I actually did a happy dance when this show finally was out of TV purgatory and given a renewal. Despite basically being Brothers & Sisters 2.0, Parenthood is the show that reminds us how important family is, no matter how utterly crazy they all are.

Scandal (October 3, ABC 10:00 p.m.)

It's about lying, and politics, and cover-ups but it's also about trust, and love, and loyalty. Shonda Rhimes is a TV genius that has made it possible to care for a stubborn, tenacious character like Olivia Pope and her band of misfits.

White Collar (October 17, USA 9:00 p.m.)

To me, White Collar is that high school sweetheart whose name I doodle in my notebook while all too aware that it’s never actually going to work out. But enjoy it while you can right? White Collar is only getting stronger as a TV show and this Suits-esque show makes me gush like a schoolgirl.

Friday

Is it sad if I predrink to The Carrie Diaries?

The Carrie Diaries (October 25, CW 8:00 p.m.)

The show is based on a series that was a prequel to another series that inspired a highly successful show and two movies. What's not surprising though is that The Carrie Diaries and Sex and the City have little to nothing in common. It may be about high school kids but it is one of the most relatable shows out there.

I think the TV stations actually want us to be social on the weekend so they programmed virtually nothing interesting to watch. Just remember, if it's 3 a.m. and you find yourself asking "another episode or sleep?", always choose sleep (even though I know you won't).