Fall for the tomboys

Tobi Abdul

For the tomboy girl who prefers menswear with a feminine touch, it can be difficult to find the top trends for fall.

With these items, the transition from summer to fall can be as fluid as your gender expression. Whatever end of the gender spectrum you decide to express, you shouldn’t have to sacrifice style or comfort. Tomboy style is on the rise and with it, so is androgynous clothing. For the fall season, these five items are the essentials required to take menswear and make it your own.

1. Boots

My personal favourite is the Desert boot, which has been in style for decades and still shows no sign of slowing down. This versatile boot transitions well from late summer to fall and can be paired with most kind of pants. Other kinds of boots that work for the fall season are the Chukka, Chelsea, and Blundstones.

2. Pattered Button-ups

Patterened button-ups have become increasingly popular in menswear and the androgyny of the patterns makes it fit with any gender expression. They can be worn casually or be a fun flare in a business casual outfit. There’s an added bonus of being able to layer it up for warmth without anyone seeing the long sleeve you have on underneath.

3. Cardigans

The best thing about cardigans is their ability to be completely versa- tile. You can wear them over dressy shirts, crop tops, and casual dresses. They can be cotton or cashmere; thick or thin; masculine or feminine. When it comes to cardigans, the world is your oyster.

4. Jackets

As the cold weather starts, it’s important to find a jacket that is both practical and stylish. While the denim and leather jacket are staples that never go out of style, the duffle coat, military jacket, and pea coat are also good options for fall.

5. Boyfriend Jeans

The boyfriend jean brings tomboy style to the mainstream, and these pants are truly multidimensional. My personal favourite is to pair boyfriend jeans with a slightly oversized jacket and a graphic top; however, boyfriend jeans work in a variety of other ways. If baggy isn’t your style, try men’s coloured chinos. I prefer mustard, but navy and maroon are also fall appropriate.