Drake's style evolution

Michelle Yeung

Take a moment to reflect on a time in your youth where you were unsure of your identity. If you were anything like the rest of us, you’ve probably made some bad calls re: what you wore. It’s okay. We’ve all had dark times. When one is not yet comfortable in their own skin, they’re more susceptible to the toxic influence of trends, or what everyone else around them is wearing. Remember spending $70 on that moose-adorned, Abercrombie & Fitch plaid shirt in grade nine? I rest my case.

To those who have not been living under a rock (or the pile of unfortunate clothing they once spent actual money on), you may recall the release of Drake’s Hotline Bling video this past month. The video spawned a bevy of dancing Drake memes and the Internet was quick to react with their affection or discontent. Perhaps the most important things that came from this fantastic video, however, are the rapper’s fire ‘fits — in particular, his #cozy grey turtleneck. Turtlenecks are hype.

While Drake still has ways to go to be deemed a “style god” (he is no Kanye, Pharell, or A$AP Rocky after all) Hotline Bling Drake is a Drake who has great taste and is confident in his aesthetic. Drake is a great rapper. Some may even call him a hip-hop icon. Regardless your take on the 6 god, the man is capable of making some solid bangers. It’s cool to see the evolution of his style — it’s nice to know that he didn’t always wear En Noir and look this good. He’s had moments of self-doubt, too. He’s just like the rest of us.

1. Degrassi Drake

degrassi_drake

Baby Drake, a.k.a. Aubrey, can be seen sporting the slouchy hoodie and sweats combo typical to any student roaming the halls of Degrassi High. He’s just one of us. *prayer hand emoji*

2. So Far Gone Drake

so_far_gone_drake

With the release of his third fire mixtape, Drake’s star rose with his style game. He now sports designer brands like Comme des Garcon PLAY, rocking a preppier vibe.

3. Thank Me Later Drake

thank_me_later_drake

In interviews, Drake has boasted of his “obscene sweater addiction.” After the release of his debut album, Thank Me Later Drake frequented high-quality, designer sweaters.

4. Take Care/YOLO Drake

take_care_drake

Take Care spawned “The Motto,” which popularized the acronym “YOLO.” Take Care Drake was also hyping up his own brand, OVO, and was often found sporting one of his own pieces.

5. Nothing Was The Same Drake

nothing_was_drake

This is street goth Drake, a Drake who is really getting into the streetwear scene. En Noir, Hood By Air, Rick Owens and, of course, his own OVO gear were closet staples.

6. If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late/ WATTBA Drake

if_youre_drake

Drake collaborated with Future to stun the world with WATTBA. Aside from popular streetwear brands, this Drake frequented simple gold chains, Jordans, and cool tees.

7. Hotline Bling Drake

hotline_drake

This is the era of Drake we have all been waiting for. The 6 god is sporting dope brands in subtle ways and rocking streetwear the right way – subtle, not flashy. All of his outfits in the Hotline Bling video are fire, from the Moncler red puffer jacket and Timberlands to the super cozy Acne Studios turtleneck. Way to go, Hotline Bling Drake. Way to go.