Coming Out Swinging

Lauren Beals

Content warning: This article discusses scenarios of homophobia and uses language that may be triggering for some readers.

“Hey faggot, you run like a girl.”

What may seem like a chilling statement to some has become all too common for others.

A 2015 study entitled “Out on the Fields” examined the affects of homophobia in over 7,125 LGBTQ participants across six English-speaking countries. The results were unfortunately conclusive.

Of the Canadians surveyed, 81 per cent had witnessed or experienced homophobia, while 84 per cent of gay men and 88 per cent of lesbians had encountered homophobic slurs. 66 per cent claimed they would feel “unsafe” in spectator areas if they were open about their sexuality, suggesting the culture of discrimination extends far beyond the athletes themselves.

“One thing about growing up, particularly little boys, we aren’t raised to value vulnerability,” said LGBTQ activist Wade Davis. “There is no currency in being vulnerable as a kid, and when you play sports vulnerability is a form of being weak. You can’t show weakness in football.”

Wade Davis is a former NFL player and one of only a few openly gay men to play professional sports, spending time as a member of the Tennessee Titans, the Washington Redskins and the Seattle Seahawks. In 2013 he was named executive director of the You Can Play Project, a national advocacy group working for the equality of LGBTQ athletes in sports.

“Part of our work is to redefine what it means to be a man, and what it means to be masculine,” said Davis. “A lot of people think of football as the keeper of masculinity… so the idea of having a gay player in sports just doesn’t fit.”

Unsurprisingly, 86 per cent of Canadian gay youth and 89 per cent of Canadian lesbian youth confirmed they were not open about their sexuality with teammates, citing fear of rejection (33 per cent) and bullying (19 per cent) as their primary concerns. But open players like Davis are trying to change that.

“Most LGBTQ kids, they quit paying sports right in high school, because high school is a space where that locker room is unsafe,” said Davis. “There is not a lot of policing of language, so to raise awareness is a big deal.”

Youth recreation statistics are particularly alarming, with 73 per cent of participants citing youth sport (under the age of 22) as not safe or welcoming for LGBTQ people. On US college campuses, one in four LGBTQ student athletes felt pressure to remain silent about their identity.

“Our work is to tell athletes and coaches that gay players do exist,” said Davis. “I played in the NFL, I was one of them. But I didn’t see myself. There was no Michael Sam or Jason Collins, you just didn’t think that was possible. So part of our job becomes visibility… so players know they can be open in their sport.”

Here at McMaster, student advocacy groups like the Queer Students Community Center have worked hard to change the landscape of LGBTQ athletics through education and subsidized intramural programs, but it is not an easy task.

Advertising can be challenging, as the majority of LGBTQ athletic promotions are only published within regular QSCC media. Welcome Week and other promotional events are also used to generate interest, but maintaining campus wide awareness over the course of the year can be difficult.

“There are limited numbers of teams and locations,” said QSCC athletics executive Ashley Kraftcheck. “It is tough when you have just the minimum number of people, and it can be disheartening to folks that do want to participate.”

Spreading the word about inclusive sports programs is only one way students can change the culture of athletics on campus. Taking steps to further your own knowledge and the understanding of those around you are also crucial, as Hamilton Tiger-Cat and McMaster alumnus Mike Daly pointed out.

“I have been in a locker room full of guys from everywhere, and I just don’t think there is enough awareness,” said Daly. “The way a lot of guys are raised, its not even talked about. They’ve never had this conversation before. You bring it up and guys are backing up and sneaking out of the room… I am not a fan of hate in the world and this is a form of that.”

Earlier this month Daly participated in a training session facilitated by Davis within the Tiger-Cats organization. Over the course of the program, Ticats players and administration worked collaboratively to address LGBTQ perception and treatment in sports.

“[We] want to be involved because it’s an overall issue,” said Selby Vilneff, the coordinator of event execution and community relations. “It comes down to respect. Everyone needs to be respected, and that needs to be translated to sports.”

The involvement of one team may seem like a small contribution, but the impact can be transformative. As a community stronghold, local sports organizations can model more inclusive behaviour to young players and shape the way fans perceive the game.

“Immediately after the conversation, four or five guys said they are thinking of [working with the organization],” said Davis. “Maybe they felt empowered, but all it takes is one person to raise that level of mindfulness. The biggest thing is a player will come back and say ‘hey man, we stopped using the word faggot in our locker room.”

If every locker room is one counter in a much greater fight, there is still a long road ahead. But if there is one thing LGBTQ athletes know how to do it’s persevere.

MacPride brings together students, faculty, and staff who represent LGBTQ+ communities and their allies to celebrate gender and sexual diversity, and to demonstrate McMaster's attitude of acceptance of all identities. You can attend MacPride events until Nov. 5, or check out the QSCC in the MSU service directory and on Facebook for more details.