Cinnamon bun fun

insideout

Natalie Timperio

Senior InsideOut Editor

If you’re in the mood for a delectable treat, or simply wanting to wow your friends and family with a sensational dessert, try these cinnamon buns.

They’re not only delicious and cheap, they’ll even make you think twice about ever going to Cinnabon again.

These doughy buns will warm the hearts, and better yet, the stomachs of your guests.

They’re perfect for any occasion and can be served as either a pre or post dinner dessert.

Chances are you’ll all too easily want to devour more than just one—so dieters, be warned.

As an anytime-of-the-day treat, these sugary buns of love are best paired with coffee, tea or (my personal favourite) a glass of milk. For winter time, try pairing a cup of hot cocoa.

Best of all, this cinnamon bun recipe is quite versatile in that raisins can be omitted from the recipe altogether or can be substituted by pecans.

And if you’re not too concerned about calories, then try topping these cinnamon buns with cream cheese icing instead of regular icing.

To finish it off, try sprinkling a pinch of cinnamon or drizzling melted brown sugar.

Cinnamon buns have made their stamp in history, originating from the far off land of Sweden. There, October fourth is known as National Cinnamon Bun Day.

In Sweden, cinnamon buns are most widely enjoyed with fika, a warm beverage. In true Swedish style, cinnamon bun dough is kneaded with cardamom and commonly baked in muffin wrappers.

Ingredients

2 cups flour

2 tbsp granulated sugar

4 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1/4 cup cold butter

1 cup milk

1/3 cup butter softened

1 cup brown sugar

1 tbsp cinnamon

1/2 cup of raisins (optional but highly recommended)

Directions

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

Cut in first amount of butter until crumbly/ make well in centre.

Pour milk into well.

Stir to form soft dough adding a bit more milk if needed.

Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead 8 to 10 times.

Roll into rectangle about 1/3 inch (1 cm) thick and 12 inches (30 cm) long.

Cream second amount of butter, brown sugar and cinnamon together well.

Spread all over rolled out dough.

Roll up as for jelly roll.

Cut into 12 slices.

Place cut side down in muffin cups.

Bake in 400 degree F approximately 12-18 minutes until golden/ turn upside-down on cooling rack. Drizzle with icing (a combination of icing powder and milk).