Canada Basketball chooses Mac alumni

In a season that’s been filled with triumph, the McMaster Marauders can add another accolade to the long list. Former Mac basketball player Lisa Thomaidis has been named the new head coach of Canada Basketball’s Senior Women’s National Team.

Currently, Thomaidis is the head coach for the University of Sasketchewan Huskies, where she earned CIS Coach of the Year honours in 2009 and 2011. Thomaidis was an assistant coach with the Senior Women’s National Team.

Wayne Parrish, Canada Basketball’s President and CEO, is more than confident in the transition.

“We are very excited to announce Lisa Thomaidis as our next Canadian Senior Women’s National Team head coach. Lisa has played an integral role in the development of our nation’s basketball players” said Parrish.

“Having worked under the tutelage of successful former national team coaches Bev Smith and Allison McNeill, Lisa is ready to put her stamp on the program and continue its momentum.”

After earning three OUA All-Star nods in term time with the Maroon and Grey, Thomaidis earned a professional contract in the Greek 1st division. The league is one of the toughest in the European basketball circuit. Her experience has paid dividends throughout her coaching career, as she knows what it takes to be among the best.

Canada Basketball is on the rise, and Thomaidis points to the 2012 Olympics as an example of that.

“At the London Olympics, the team showed the world that we are a basketball nation to be reckoned with. I’m motivated and driven to make sure that we continue on this path of success and strive for even greater results on the international stage,” said Thomaidis.

Canada finished with a 2-3 record in the qualifying rounds for the tournament, but they were more than capable of hanging with some of the tournament’s best. Their group had the two teams who met in the bronze medal game – Australia and Russia. In group play, Canada lost to Russia in the final minute 58-53. Australia would handle the Red and White with a nine-point victory, but Canada did not look outmatched.

London marked the beginning of Canada’s journey to being a women’s basketball powerhouse, as their Junior Women’s National Team is already showing promise. The group of 19-and-under players finished fourth at the 2012 FIBA Americas tournament and qualified for the 2013 FIBA U19 World Championships. Canada has also produced players who have had an impact at major NCAA schools like UCLA and Syracuse.

Thomaidis is optimistic about the future and eager to start the climb to the top of the podium.

“I am very excited to be given the opportunity to take the reins of the Senior Women’s National Team. What the team has accomplished in the past quadrennial is nothing less than tremendous, and I’m looking forward to seeing what heights we can reach,” Thomaidis said.