BREAKING: McMaster extends mask mandate & you need to know this

Andrew Mrozowski
April 13, 2022

C/O Georgia Kirkos, McMaster University

"Masking is one of the most effective ways of reducing the spread of COVID"

McMaster University has announced that the mask mandate will continue to the end of May 2022.

"The sixth wave of COVID continues to unfold and the most recent modelling indicates that it will be several weeks before the peak of the wave is seen. As a result, we have decided to extend
McMaster’s mandatory mask mandate to the end of May 2022. This means that everyone at a
McMaster site must wear a mask in all indoor settings including classrooms, libraries, crowded
spaces and close workspaces," reads a letter from President David Farrar and Provost Susan Tighe.

The sixth wave of COVID continues to unfold and the most recent modelling indicates that it will be several weeks before the peak of the wave is seen.

president david farrar and provost susan tighe, mcmaster university

All COVID-19 measures currently in place will continue until the end of May. This includes MacCheck and both the vaccine and mask mandates.

This announcement comes only a few short weeks after the university announced that mandates would end on May 1.

"We are able to take this step, which allows us to align with government requirements, because of the respect that people across the University have shown to each other by getting vaccinated and wearing masks," reads the original statement.

Farrar and Tighe did state on March 25 that if the pandemic were to get worse, they would not hesitate to reinstate all mandates to protect the McMaster and Hamilton communities.

"If pandemic circumstances and public health advice shifts and government requirements change, we may need to quickly re-instate a mask requirement and a vaccine policy."

Frankly, we aren't terribly surprised by this extension. On Monday, Ontario's top doctor Kieran Moore stated that he "strongly recommends" all Ontarians to continue wearing their masks.

This is a developing story.