Behind the scenes of the #ThinkPink photoshoot

Jessica Carmichael
Photo C/O Rick Zazulak

If you have been at McMaster over the last few years, you may have seen pictures of varsity athletes rocking pink tutus floating around on social media or at the front desk of the gym.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdxg5TcgkYt/

These photos are in promotion of the Mac Athletes Care breast cancer fundraiser. Every January, Mac athletes put together a number of activities in order to raise money for breast cancer research. Although we still have a few more months before the event kicks off, we went behind the scenes at one of the iconic photoshoots and caught up with rugby player, Ontario University Athletics Shiels Division Community Service Award winner, AND event coordinator Mackenzie Wiens to see what Mac Athlete Care has in store for Think Pink.

The Silhouette: How do you plan on getting athletes and students more involved?

Mackenzie: We have always had great involvement from athletes! Leading up to the fundraiser [Jan. 7-12] athletes can sign up to volunteer at the Think Pink Table. This year we are trying to increase our social media presence to ultimately improve our online fundraising efforts. We have been able to meet with 16 teams and are so excited to have their support.

What fundraising initiatives can we look forward to seeing this year?

M: We will have our raffle table (where we are currently looking for donations) and t-shirt sales every day as well as at the varsity games. New this year is a spike ball tournament on Friday, Jan. 11, which will have a great prize for the winning team!

Goals for think pink this year?

M: Last year, we raised $10,000. This may be bold, but were hoping to raise $15,000 this year!

It’s not enough to want to do good, at some point you have to do good! I’m so happy that this year, all the funds will be used to support and fund breast cancer research in Hamilton — by investigators who work at Hamilton Health Science Juravinski Cancer Center & McMaster University!

Photo from Silhouette Photo Archives

[spacer height="20px"]For more inquiries or if you would like to donate, email wiensm@mcmaster.ca. Also follow @mcmastersports to follow along with their fundraising efforts or to see some awesome photos of your favourite student-athletes rocking pink tutus for a good cause.

[spacer height="20px"][thesil_related_posts_sc]Related Posts[/thesil_related_posts_sc]