Basking in the joys of Basilique

business

Alizeh Khan

With quality food, a great atmosphere and a name that has become grounded for the McMaster and Hamilton community, Basilique is more than just a place for great food.

Gourmet pizzas, shawarma and delicious vegan dishes are just a few reasons or rather menu items that have made the restaurant a great hit throughout the city.

Completing 12 years in February 2012, the restaurant has expanded far more than just its menu items; Executive chef and owner Mamdouh Dahab brings to his business his expertise in professional French cuisine, as seen with the revered quality and freshness that the restaurant is known for.

The restaurant is a hotspot for takeout, dine in and catering for students from the university and the neighbouring community.

Having spent over a decade running his business, Dahab says that it was hard work and determination that helped him persevere throughout the years. Struggling during the first two years, it was patience and consistent quality that remained important as ethics to run his business. Despite fluctuations in the rise and fall of running the restaurant, the business remained to garner popularity for its promise of quality food.

Having been offered in the meal plan for McMaster students for quite some time, Dahab said it is through student initiation and word of mouth that there has been an influx of students. Students made it apparent that they wished for the restaurant to be incorporated as a choice for their meals, and Dahab says that a large part of the customers he serves are students.

“If you are a big fan of cheese, go to Basilique,” says fourth year McMaster student Shahinaz Youseff.

In addition to this, throughout viagra best price the year Dahab says that new first year students have visited, eaten and come back for more. He has seen an increase specifically in new students, and says that the busy time for the restaurant has yet to come in the summer months.

Popularity has spread through word of mouth, and little advertising. Throughout the years Dahab says he has learned that quality is important, as is time. The customer wants “something quick” and he in turn has never given up striving for quality, whilst learning how to manage the time it takes to process orders and meet client demands.

Through his constant efforts, Dahab maintains his business. He finds that though he has staff to overlook his work, he bears the larger responsibility.

“I close the door and come back and open the door again,” said Dahab in regards to working many, if not all days of the week, with long hours, opening and closing the restaurant.

For Dahab it isn’t “hit and run” where his sole purpose is to simply make money. Good labour remains an important aspect for him, and finding it he says can be difficult. With a fast paced environment it can get stressful, and for him managing time remains his utmost goal alongside good food. Little details pertaining to business are important he says, and freshness and quality remains the driving force through which he runs his business.

The local community has also been of great support. Though students come and go with the terms, the neighbouring community has familiarized itself with the restaurant. There is a great deal of respect within the community, and Dahab remains a financial supporter of various schools and the university. The local police and the Ministry of health are but a few of the local institutions that not only order from the restaurant, but are frequent customers.

“I’m very happy with the business and clientele we have,” Dahab says.

Presently he says his goal for the business remains to try new menu items, which he aims for every year. He has expanded the vegetarian selections he has, and hopes to continue to serve customers with high quality food and service.