App Review: Morning Kit

shane-madill

Morning Kit provides an easy-to-use app that aggregates important information to expedite your mornings. It provides an alarm, the current weather, a world clock, exchange rates and a variety of other options for people to check first thing in the morning in one convenient app.

It is rather effective in achieving its goal as it is easy to use right after downloading, and it is flexible to accommodate customization. The minimalist layout is easy on the eyes and incredibly informative. On top of that, there is minimal delay in accessing additional detail. After setting it up to your liking, the only actual time investment is for further changes or to use of its calendar. Each of its features is comparable in quality to its equivalent on an Apple or Android device, so using this app allows you to aggregate individual apps without losing functionality. This app is all about accessibility.

But Morning Kit does have its limitations. The default layout consists of a four-square board in which to place each section. If you require more, the paid version offers six squares. Some sections like quotes are not customizable except for the language. Furthermore, text often cuts off mid-word making each quote an incredibly awkward read. You can only set a maximum of three alarm slots unless you pay for more. No preview of the alarm volume means that you have to simply guess the level suitable for you, and there is also no vibrate option to the alarm system. If you're a stickler about your alarms, use something else to help you wake up.

All in all, it is a good app if you're willing to trade detail for convenience, which you probably are in the groggy seconds following a rude awakening. Morning Kit is easy to set up, easy to use, and it cuts down on the amount of time you spend in the morning idly browsing your phone for daily information like weather and news. Again, if you're looking for detail or nuance, relying on a bevy of apps is likely the better option. If convenience is what you crave, Morning Kit is highly recommended, especially for the average university student who is looking to maximize the precious seconds between waking up and scrambling to campus.