Allergies are the killer of affection

insideout

RICARDO PADILLA / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Chantal Cino

The Silhouette

Remember back to elementary school when you so desperately wanted to bring that peanut butter sandwich for lunch or your pet cat for show-and-tell, but never could on account of the fatal allergies of that kid?

Back then it probably wasn’t that big a deal; you could devour the sandwich or play with Mr. Mitts when you got home. But what if things were a little different, what if that kid suddenly became the person that you were dating?

In 2008, the Surveying Canadians to Assess the Prevalence of Common Food Allergies and Attitudes towards Food Labelling and Risk (SCAAALAR) study investigated the prevalence of allergies to foods commonly associated with severe anaphylactic reaction, including peanuts.

Allergies were found to be present in approximately 3.2 per cent of the population.

So what do you do if your partner is part of that 3.2 per cent? Paying more attention to what you eat may be more complex than it seems.

The problem becomes significantly greater for people who will not only be giving up preferred foods, but possibly those needed for their proper nutrition.

Consider vegetarians, who might turn to peanut butter as a source of. It’s inexpensive and versatile, making it an excellent replacement choice.

But the choice between giving up a protein source and giving up your significant other might spark the creativity needed to arrange a diet safe for both individuals, complete with alternative protein sources, such as beans, tofu and protein supplements.

Food sensitivities are not the only ones that can complicate relationships. Another problematic set of allergies are those associated with pets.

Most people are not hard pressed to think of at least one friend or relative who is allergic to cats, dogs or any other furry friend. These are generally not fatal, just can be just as problematic to compromise on.

There are two distinct scenarios when it comes to pets. One is the situation when one partner lives at home or with roommates in which the pet is not actually theirs.

While this may limit the amount of time you get to see each other, the pet likely won’t be accompanying the two of you if you decide to move in together.

However, the situation becomes more complex if the person lives on their own with a pet, for the decision to get rid of an animal that you are already attached to can be much more difficult than deciding not to acquire one once settled in.

The question becomes whether or not it is necessary to get rid of a dear pet for the sake of a new, potentially lifelong partner if their presence is not life threatening.

For the pet lover, having an animal has probably always been a part of their life, but for those on the other side of the equation, the prospect of a pet dictates a future of discomfort.

Like so many other obstacles faced in relationships, it seems that a compromise is required. One popular alternative is to get a hypoallergenic breed.

It may take a little trial and error to find a suitable fit, but the discovery of a pet that does not trigger an allergic reaction may be the solution that makes both partners happy.

Another solution may be to have an outdoor pet, which would make it significantly easier to avoid allergy-inducing contact with the animal.

The complications that arise in relationships due to allergies can be problematic, but as with anything, working around them can strengthen a couple’s bond.

While having a partner choose a food or pet over your needs may bring you to the heartbreaking realisation that they are not right for you, finding someone who is willing to make tough decisions for your health and happiness is pretty special.