#thetimeisnow

5 campus date ideas to do on a budget With midterms around the corner, find a date alternative at Mac

FacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedinFacebooktwitterredditpinterestlinkedin
Photo by Matty Flader / Photo Reporter

By: Alannah DeAngelis, Contributor

Dates can be a fun way to get to know your partner better and try new things together. Between school, catching up on all your Netflix shows and hanging out with your friends, it can be tough to make time for date nights. Try out these five date ideas where you can stay on campus and avoid breaking the bank! 

View this post on Instagram

Could you really build a lightsaber? We asked PhD candidate in Physics and Astronomy Athanasios Psaltis to break down the science of #StarWars, and according to him, the answer is…sort of. "First of all, lightsabers are neither made from light nor do they have a saber shape. Light beams cross through each other, so that wouldn’t work for lightsaber battles! We know about solids, gases and liquids, but a nice idea would be to consider the fourth state of matter – plasma. Plasma is ionized gas, meaning that the atoms have been stripped by their electrons. The Sun is made almost entirely of plasma, with a surface temperature of around 6,000 degrees Kelvin. So, how could we create such a high temperature in our lightsaber? With very strong batteries! Plasma is very difficult to handle and we would need a very strong magnetic field to contain the plasma if we want to use it for battles – indeed the sun has very strong magnetic fields to contain its plasma. Here’s where this plasma theory becomes interesting. It can explain lightsaber colours. Different gases have the ability to emit different colours. We could use plasma from different gasses to create all the lightsaber colours we see in the movies."

A post shared by McMaster University (@mcmasteru) on

Planetarium Show

The W. J. McCallion Planetarium, in the basement of BSB, is an out-of-this world date idea! Shows run Wednesday nights and there is a new theme each week. Learn about outer space, stars, planets, comets and more. For more information, check out the McMaster Planetarium website.                                                                         

Cost: $7 per person.

Photo by Matty Flader / Photo Reporter

Video Game Room in Lyons New Media Centre 

Get your game on in the Video Games room on the 4th floor of Mills to find out which of you is the “Mario Kart” champion! There are five game consoles that you can choose from: Wii, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3 and PS4. They offer many games to play, all of which are available to rent for free. Bookings for this space can be made for up to 2 hours per day for all McMaster students.

Cost: Free! Just bring your student card to rent the controllers and games.

McMaster Museum of Art

Check out some cool art with your partner at the McMaster Museum of Art right on campus. The museum is recognized internationally for its European paintings, drawings and prints. It is also known for its specialist collection of early 20th century German prints. This highly notable museum is just steps away from the Student Centre.

Cost: Pay what you can (suggested donation is $2).

Silhouette Archives

Trivia Night at the Phoenix

Test your knowledge at the Phoenix Bar and Grill’s Trivia Night, which happens every Tuesday at 7 p.m.. The theme changes each week, so you are sure to never be bored. Top teams will win gift cards to the Phoenix; perfect to use for another date night! 

Cost: Free when you purchase food or drinks.

Silhouette Archives

Hike at Cootes

McMaster is surrounded by beautiful hiking trails with breathtaking views. Go for a hike at Cootes (start at the trail behind the Alpine tower) and explore what nature has to offer in McMaster’s backyard. Notably, the Sassafrass trail includes a lookout platform onto Lake Ontario. Who knows, maybe you will even see some deer along the way! 

Cost: Free! 

Comments

Share This Post On