4 rules to follow when playing matchmaker

Amanda Watkins

“Do you have any single roommates?” is a phrase that leaves my mouth way more often than it probably should. As a member of a currently extremely single group of friends, I am constantly on the hunt for eligible bachelors and bachelorettes for my friends. But when is it ok to set people up? How do you pull off a set-up without being extremely awkward and uncomfortable?

Here are a few tips to help your attempts at playing cupid go as swiftly as possible.

Being single isn’t enough

“You have a single friend? I have a single friend too! We should definitely set them up!” No. Simply having singleness in common is not enough for a spontaneous pairing to work out. Look for at least one common interest or a similarity in values before jumping on the matchmaker bandwagon.

You should also ensure that the two parties involved are actually interested in being set up. If one (or both) isn’t too keen on the somewhat blind date, then don’t follow through with it.

Prepare for repercussions

Once you’ve found two people who seem to be relatively willing to meet one another, prepare them and yourself for the possible outcomes. Do you know both people well? Do the two parties know each other already? Would either of them be hurt if the match didn’t work out? Is one party more invested than the other? If this set-up doesn’t work out, are any friendships going to be ruined? If this set-up does work out, are any friendships going to be ruined?

Choose a casual venue

When you’re arranging a time and place where the two of them can meet, especially if they have never met or spoken to each other before, ensure you’ve selected a casual and well-populated location. Also, go along for the ride. Briefly third wheel when they first meet to introduce them to one another, especially if you’re their primary “something in common”. And if you can, bring along a mutual friend or your significant other and create a double date of sorts. It will be helpful to have another person making conversation and ensuring your lonerish presence isn’t awkward.

Don’t linger

Once you’ve arranged the set-up, don’t hang around too long. If you’ve planned to accompany them on a double date, stay for the needed duration, but if they seem to be hitting it off, don’t hesitate to head out and leave them to their own devices.

The same can be said for after the initial match happens. If they’re hanging out more and begin seeing each other, don’t pry for information or try and integrate yourself into the relationship. I know you’re invested in the outcome of the pairing, seeing as you planned it all along, but give them some space, no one likes a cock block.