3 tips for life after Welcome Week

shane-madill

No one ever tells you how to move on after Welcome Week. Maybe you met some new friends, maybe you met some old friends, or maybe you met no one at all (which is totally okay!). No matter your Welcome Week experience, adjusting to the academic grind is always a hassle. The transition is hard - it's tempting to soak in the last days of summer, and midterms are far off on the horizon - making it easy to fall behind. But fret not. Here are three quick points to help you get into university life again no matter what year you are in.

1. Get involved

The school grind gets busy fast, so it's easy to get overwhelmed and feel that there isn't time for extracurriculars beyond what you're already involved in. Wrong! It's all about time management - trade those endless hours on Netflix and explore your interests. Be willing to get involved, and take initiative, something only you can decide. Spending time with like-minded people can help keep you grounded even if you are all a bit more introverted or shy. If you do decide to get involved, the newly released MSU Clubza service is an excellent way to catch up on any clubs you may have missed. Better yet, get involved with us here at The Silhouette.

2. Start work early

This is easier said than done. Everyone has a story of how procrastination put them in an awkward situation, yet very few people ever take the effort to prevent it from happening again in the future. Again, your time management skills will be tested as you attempt to prioritize what is important to you. Find a balance between academics, hobbies and your inner socialite. As a general guideline, a balanced lifestyle leads to more happiness and a better state of mind. Plan for the unexpected - like the unavoidable all-nighter - but leave room for life as well.

3. "A sound mind in a sound body"

This common phrase does well to paint a perfect picture of health.  With help from the Peer Support Line, someone is always there to listen to anything you may face, and psychologists in the Student Wellness Centre can help through counselling. Mental illness is serious business, and seeking the advice of professionals can definitely help. No matter is too small, and someone will always be there in times of need.

A Pulse gym membership is not required for a sound body, but it can help. The stress of being new to the gym is one that is quickly vanished once the realization that there are a lot of new people, as well as staff members who are more than willing to listen to any question you may have. The Student Wellness Centre also has physical-based services such as weight management, screening for sexually transmitted infections, birth control options, general health counselling, and anything else you could think of related to keeping your body in good health.