Women’s basketball rebounds from loss

Sofia Mohamed

[adrotate banner="16"]

Great teams are able to turn any loss into a lesson.

Though a disappointing 74-64 loss against the Ryerson Rams last Wednesday night ruined the McMaster Women’s Basketball team’s perfect record, the Marauders were able to get back into a winning mindset this past weekend when they welcomed the Toronto Blues to Burridge Gym.

With a gym full of fans, the Marauders headed back into their locker rooms with an 87-79 win against the Toronto Blues.

When both teams first met this pre-season, the Marauders took that win by over 30 points.

This game was a tougher competition between the Marauders and the Blues.

At the end of the first quarter, both teams were tied at 22 points. The game slowly changed in favour of McMaster as the halftime score was 48-40.

In the final quarter of play, second-year guard Linnaea Harper helped strengthen McMaster’s offense. The second-year forward led the team with 24 points and ten rebounds. Because of her great performance, Harper was named a Pita Pit Athlete of the Week.

Another noticeable mention goes to second-year guard Hilary Hanaka, as she scored 15 points and is continuing to find her rhythm after time off the court due to an injury.

Danielle Boiago and Rachael Holmes were also able to put points on the board, adding 19 and 15 respectively.

While the team walked out of that game with a win, only 19 of the team’s 87 points came from the bench. As the season goes on, fans can hope to see more opportunities for bench players to produce and that is crucial for the team’s development and success. The season will only get more competitive for a team fighting for an OUA banner.

Currently ranked fourth in the nation, the talent of this young team can definitely take them back to the number one spot they held just weeks ago.

With the team holding a record of three wins and one loss, it aims to continue its winning streak on the road as McMaster plays Queen’s and York this weekend.

Photo Credit: Jon White/Photo Editor