The chemistry of love

lifestyle

By: Mitali Chaudhary

1. Phenylethylamine (PEA)

PEA is responsible for the feeling of falling intensely in love. Being a stimulant, much like amphetamine, it promotes feelings of infatuation and, when teamed up with dopamine and norepinephrine, gives that giddy, butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling. Bonus: PEA is found chocolate, too.

There’s nothing like the rush of intense feelings that come with a having a crush. Almost everyone has felt it before; your face heats up, stomach squirms and clenches, and your heart beats frantically. But what’s really going on when we experience this dizzying cocktail of emotions that we call love?

2. Norepinephrine

Norepinephrine  is the hormone responsible for causing hearts in love to beat in frenzy, and is the source of those unfortunate sweaty palms, too. It’s linked to heightened feelings of joy and excitement, as well as a loss of appetite.

3. Dopamine

Dopamine is associated with feelings of pleasure, this neurotransmitter is closely connected to reward-related behaviour, such as dealing with food, or sex. This is also the reason why the need to see the object of our affection, or a particularly delicious dish, feels like an intense craving.

4. Oxytocin

Triggered by the release of dopamine, as well as human contact, oxytocin is known as the “love hormone.” It promotes attachment and love, solidifies relationships and trust, and is involved in sexual arousal. It also plays a major role in uterine contractions during labour, and in breastfeeding.

5. Testosterone

Contrary to popular belief, testosterone, a steroid hormone, is produced in both men and women. It’s thought to play a role in pair bonding (as levels in infatuated men decrease, while those in women increase, causing an attainment of a middle hormonal ground, of sorts). It’s also thought to be connected to raw, uncomplicated lust.