Spring into spring!

lifestyle

By: Alexandra Kilian

March 21 marked the first day of spring. The snow is melting, the geese are returning, and soon the plants will bud and flowers will bloom.

Personal rebirth – as cheesy as it sounds – is needed. This is especially true in the chaotic month of March, when motivation seems to be dwindling and exhaustion and stress are the words of the day.

As students, it is unlikely that we have the time or will for a classic “spring cleaning.” Come to think of it, does anyone actually do that? Probably not.

Even without the classic spring cleaning – hanging everything outside and dusting every corner – there is a lot of cleansing to do and meaning to find during this season.  Some might find it helpful to do a smaller clean, or more of a “de-clutter” by throwing out the things that you don’t need and getting organized. This cleansing ritual may help you get mentally ready for the upcoming season and, as much as I hate to say it, exams. Spring is all about change. There are a number of things that can be done to help get over the winter blues and spring into spring!

My favourite thing about spring is the warming weather. Shed your winter coat and those heavy winter boots and enjoy the outdoors; it feels so refreshing and relaxing. When you go for coffee with a friend or for a meeting, sit on the patio to get some sunshine. If you've been exercising indoors a lot, switch to some more outdoor exercise to benefit from the fresh air by going on a run, enjoying a bike ride, or stroll. On your next study break, be sure to grab one of these cool bikes and feel the wind in your hair. Use the outdoors to rediscover how to relax, change your study space and even to inspire yourself artistically.

If you don’t feel like going outdoors, you can bring the green indoors. Buying a small potted plant and watching it grow can brighten your day. It’s a wonderful way to refresh your space and make you smile by reminding you, yet again, that it’s spring.

The next best thing about spring is the return of outdoor farmers’ markets and the accessibility of fresh fruits and vegetables. Fresh fruit has so many benefits for your health and sense of self. Try to start your morning with a spring-like smoothie or a nice spring salad with fresh strawberries. If you’re feeling adventurous, plan a picnic or eat outside. And beyond all that, remember that by buying local you are helping Ontario farmers, in addition to reducing your carbon footprint.

Finally, take the time to think back on winter, and on your semester. Think about successes and failures as well as future goals. Think about something that you might want to change or something that you’ve been meaning to try for a while – and then go for it! Spring is a perfect season for transformation and growth.

Whatever you do, try to find a way to make this a fun and meaningful season. March might be rough, but before you know it, all the stress and worry will be over.