McMaster baseball takes next step

sports
April 2, 2015

[adrotate banner="13"]

By: John Bauer

It was a foggy October night at Volunteer Field in Dundas. McMaster’s baseball team was finishing off practice with a game of tee-ball. The team had suffered a doubleheader sweep at the hands of the Toronto Varsity Blues the night before and is mired in a losing streak, but the mood of the practice gave no indication of the team’s struggles. Nor was there any indication that one of the fielders is not a player at all, but new head coach Adam Strongman, joining in on the fun.

McMaster’s baseball program went 1-19 in the 2014 season. It was the first year under Strongman, but their record was a regression from the previous years. The losses and frustration should be temporary. Strongman has aligned McMaster’s baseball program with a local Hamilton club to strengthen the team’s training, and this summer will be key in the growth of the men’s baseball program. By all accounts, the team enjoys playing under the former NCAA athlete.

“He certainly keeps us upbeat,” said veteran left-fielder Travis Flint of his new skipper. “He gets along with us, so he tries to make up ways to lighten the mood.”

Strongman’s baseball career was launched when his father was coaching an Ancaster Little League tee-ball team, and signed his son up to play at the age of four.

From there, his career included a stint on the Canadian Thunderbirds team, where he spent time with likes of MLBers Joey Votto and John Axford. Strongman then accepted a full ride scholarship to USC-Aiken in South Carolina, where he was the university’s starting catcher. He transferred an hour north to Lander University the next year, where he also caught, and spent some time as the designated hitter. He kept his Thunderbirds ties, playing on the junior and then senior team during the summers.

When asked about his career, Strongman related it back to coaching.

“My playing career has taken me many different places in both Canada and throughout the States, and every event, game, and practice that I have participated in has allowed me to coach this team to the best of my abilities.”

His players would certainly agree.

“You can tell that baseball’s his passion. He’s definitely rubbed that off on the players so far,” said outfielder Mike Campagnolo.

The coach Strongman took over from, Wayne Gowan, is not easily replaced. A McMaster alumnus, Gowan guided the team to an OUA championship back in 2008. Strongman served under Gowan for four years prior to taking the reins, working his way from hitting and catching coach to third base coach.

“Adam brings a lot more energy, it seems,” said Campagnolo, when asked about the coaching change.

Flint echoed the sentiment. “[There’s] a lot more hustle. Adam does a great job of conditioning us. He does a great job of getting us to do what we need to do.”

Infielder Eric Telford noticed something a little different.

“Adam takes a lot more hands on approach than has been happening in the past. He’s a really knowledgeable guy. He knows a lot about the game. He’s played the game at a high level. He knows what it takes to win. He’s been trying to shape our team so we can do the same,” said Telford.

Strongman considers his coaching style to be straightforward.

“If you continue to learn every game and practice, work hard at each game and practice and become a more skilled player throughout the course of a season, then we [will be] successful,” explained the coach.

Outside of McMaster, Strongman is also a high school teacher and coach of the Hamilton Cardinals junior team, the modern iteration of the Canadian Thunderbirds for which he played, and owner of a baseball academy in Ancaster. He sees many similarities between his numerous roles.

“In teaching high school, you need to be patient, understand every single student and know how to get everyone to be engaged in what is being taught in the class. The same can be said for coaching baseball,” said Strongman.

McMaster made the move this past summer to align its baseball program with the Cardinals. Despite access the Cardinals’ clubhouse and the opportunity to play with the team during the summer, some players say the best part of the move is being around Strongman all the time.

Though the wins did not come for the team in the first season of Strongman’s tenure, he remains optimistic.

“In baseball, along with many other sports, there are many different things to learn and understand about the game, but winning cannot occur until all those little things are put into place.”

Alhough those little things are not yet in place, the players know they are in good hands. “The dynamic of the entire team is different,” said catcher Brandon da Silva. “A lot more positive. A lot more hype with the team this year.”

With coach Strongman at the helm and the continued development of the team’s young core of players, it will not be long before some of that hype that da Silva is talking about translates into something much more special.

[adrotate banner="12"]