McMaster adds to list of accolades

Steven Chen

[adrotate banner="16"]

On Nov. 20, McMaster secured another award for its trophy case, after being named as one of Hamilton-Niagara’s Top Employers for 2016.

Now in its ninth year, the annual competition is organized by the editors of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers.” The competition recognizes McMaster University for the role it plays in the Hamilton-Niagara region as an industry leader for employment.

McMaster distinguished itself under the eight evaluation criteria set out by “Canada’s Top 100 Employers,” including the physical workplace, work and social atmosphere, financial and family benefits, health and community involvement.

Wanda McKenna, executive director of human resources here at McMaster, is proud of the university’s accomplishment. “We have always believed that McMaster is a fantastic place to work,” she said. “And given the fact that this is our very first time entering the competition, it just goes to show that McMaster does offer a fairly comprehensive package in terms of being a great place to work and teach.”

Comprised of 4,393 full-time employees and 3,052 part-time employees, McMaster is not only one of the largest employers in the Hamilton-Niagara region, but also one that is committed to cultivating a group of passionate staff.

“[The staff] at the university are absolutely dedicated to its mission, its research and its teaching,” acclaimed McKenna. “They love student environments, they love being with students and seeing them learn and grow. It is always fantastic to work with staff that resonate full of such energy.”

“Canada’s Top 100 Employers” features McMaster University’s benefit pension plan, retirement planning assistance, scholarship program and inclusivity of working groups as defining reasons for being selected as one of Hamilton-Niagara’s Top Employers. The thoughtful outlook that McMaster has for its staff is also expressed by the flexible work options, the generous paid vacation allowance and the apprenticeship/skills training programs that it offers.

A strong focal point of the Forward With Integrity campaign has been fostering strong relationships with the Hamilton community. “Community engagement is one of the pillars and priorities for the university, and that means ensuring a diverse employee population that is also reflective of our student population,” said McKenna. “We are trying to reach out to different members of the community and tell them that McMaster is a great place to work.”

The selection for the Hamilton-Niagara Top Employers is also based on their progressive and forward-thinking programs. In this area, McMaster has irrefutably shown merit in terms of both its academics and employment programs.

“The university's vision [revolves] around creativity, innovation and excellence,” she said. “It fosters an environment where our students can also thrive and succeed. McMaster has been able to become a Top 100 university in the world because of its faculty and staff. And continuing to attract and retain the best, has helped McMaster to continue to be the best environment for its students.”

With this, McKenna sets her sights on propelling the continuous evolution of McMaster as a workplace and employer. In the next few months, the university plans on instituting employment equity services to break down the barriers that exist between designated working groups. The intention is to level the playing field, allowing all members of the community the opportunity to find and continue an employment.

“I think that McMaster has a bright future ahead of itself,” said McKenna. “We are trying to position [ourselves] such that we have the right people — our greatest assets are the people, and it is the people who will be the deciding factor for our success in the future. We aim to continuously look forward and [assess] how are we going to improve, so that we can continue to offer the best environment for our students.”