Mac sees early success on the court

Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

Heading into the annual Thanksgiving tournament, the Marauders women’s volleyball team was an unknown quantity.

After finishing second to Toronto without some key contributors, it is clear the Marauders will be a competitive team regardless of who is able to suit up.

The opening game against Royal Military College saw some miscommunication among players, but their confidence grew as the game went on. Granted, RMC is a weaker team, but for Mac to handle them in straight sets is a good sign. The first two sets saw the Marauders win 25-8 and 25-12 before RMC found their footing a bit in the third set and only lost 25-16.

Their second game against the Queen’s Gaels was closer, with Mac still winning in straight sets (25-22, 25-20, 25-19). Queen’s is typically a powerhouse in the conference, but is undergoing a transition year with a new coach.

Beating the Gaels meant Mac would take on the Varsity Blues – a team head coach Tim Louks expects to be at the top of the standings this season. McMaster gave them a challenge, but were ultimately straight-setted to earn silver at the tournament.

McMaster’s Maicee Sorensen and Joanna Jedrzejewska were named to the tournament All-Star team.

The regular season gets underway on Friday against a tough Western squad. Mac has a tough schedule to start the season, playing Windsor and Ottawa before a trip to Thunder Bay, Ont. to take on Lakehead.