Less than 200

Jaycee Cruz

Homecoming domination

McMaster cruises to homecoming win over York with a sellout sea of maroon in attendance to support their Marauders, No. 7 McMaster made work of the York Lions in a 67-10 homecoming victory.

Third-year wide receiver Danny Vandervoort broke the school’s all-time touchdown receptions record hauling in two against the Lions. Vandervoort now holds the school record with 21 career touchdown catches, passing Matt Peressini’s previous record of 19.

Quarterback Asher Hastings continued to add to his already impressive season stats completing 80 percent of his passes (20/25) for 306 yards and four touchdowns in only two and a half quarters. Along with Vandervoort, wide receivers Dan Petermann and Max Cameron were the recipients of Hastings’ touchdown throws. On the ground, first-year running back Jordan Lyons found paydirt twice.

The high-octane Marauders’ offense did not turn the ball over at all, while the Marauders’ defense forced York to cough up the ball three times.

McMaster is now 10-0 in their past 10 games against the Lions. The win pushes McMaster’s overall record to 3-1.

McMaster will travel south as they visit the Windsor Lancers on Saturday, Oct. 3.

More banners to come 

On the eve of their Homecoming victory over York, McMaster resigned football head coach Stefan Ptaszek to a multi-year deal to keep Ptaszek coaching for the Maroon and Grey.

This was the right decision. His successful resumé speaks for itself.

In his 10 years as head coach he has won one national title (2011), three provincial titles (2011, 2012, 2014), OUA Coach of the Year twice (2012, 2014), and CIS Coach of the Year in 2012. Students of his program have become CFL draft picks. His football program came just short of the school’s second national title last winter.

McMaster has a working formula here and there is currently no sign of it changing. Since coming to McMaster in 2006, coach Ptaszek has helped build Mac football into a perennial powerhouse that sees postseason action year in and year out. With this kind of success, there is no reason to let him go.

“We don’t want to let successful people get away and start over,” athletic director Glen Grunwald said in an interview with Scott Radley of The Spectator. “It was kind of a no-brainer.”

Photo Credit: Alistar Boulby