Honouring Makayla Sault’s legacy

By: Yipeng Alex and Sharon Deepti

On Feb. 26, we attended the event “First Peoples, Second Class Treatment: Reclaiming Indigenous Health and Well-Being,” which was inaccurately reported on by mainstream media. Media outlets capitalized on the presence of Ken and Sonya Sault, parents of Makayla Sault, an 11-year-old girl from New Credit First Nation, who was diagnosed with leukemia in January 2014.

After 11 weeks of chemotherapy, Makayla discontinued the treatment and pursued traditional medicines. Reporters neglected the forum’s intention to clarify misunderstandings, present Indigenous perspectives on health, and the need for cooperation with biomedicine in integrative care models to prevent future tensions. Instead, it was sensationalized, adding fuel to the already fragile relationship between the healthcare system and Indigenous peoples.

The forum began with a professional panel designed to share knowledge on Indigenous health issues in policy and practice. The panel discussed systemic discrimination against Indigenous peoples, historically and in the present day. Yes, racism still exists. Yes, Indigenous peoples are still marginalized in public systems. And yes, healthcare is one of these oppressive systems.

The statistics speak for themselves: from decreased life expectancy to high rates of discomfort when accessing services, it is apparent that Indigenous peoples continue to be disadvantaged by our healthcare systems.

The Sault family shared the complications of Makayla’s condition. Clarifications included descriptions of the harsh effects of chemotherapy on Makayla, which were downplayed in the media. The family also emphasized that biomedical care was never discontinued, and that they do not oppose or refute its efficacy.

Although chemotherapy was no longer pursued, her condition was monitored and treated by family physician Dr. Jason Zacks who said that “she probably had more access to Western conventional physicians that any other patient in Canada at that time.” Makayla was never neglected; she received genuine care and resources for her wellness. The media failed to encapsulate the intention of this panel. Makayla’s legacy of cooperation between biomedical care and traditional medicine was lost.

Reporting on Indigenous issues, including this forum, can understandably fall into the trap of being framed in a Western lens, especially for those, including ourselves, that have been educated in Western institutions.

The turning point, however, is the acknowledgement that the Western worldview is not universal. Our understanding of “evidence” as something quantitatively measured is not universal. And our standards, our norms, are not the only “correct” ones.

Traditional healing practices of Indigenous peoples are rooted in empirical knowledge accumulated and validated over generations, aligning with their understanding of holistic health in mind, body, and spirit, and not simply the absence of disease. We cannot dismiss Indigenous medicines, or other ways of well-being or knowing, as invalid simply because they have not been supported by Western systems of understanding.

We must also recognize the importance of historical context and the significance of lived experiences. This is particularly relevant to Indigenous peoples and their experiences with assimilationist policies and practices.

For instance, the current strained relation between Indigenous peoples and the Children’s Aid Society exists as a reminder of the trauma caused by residential schools. Undeniably, history shapes the present, which then dictates the future. This holds true for Indigenous peoples and cultures as much as it does our own. The revitalization of Indigenous knowledge, culture, and identity, is thus dependent on current efforts to respect and understand Indigenous perspectives, to prevent a historical cycle of cultural trauma.

Hasty judgments and assumptions are nearly inevitable. Approaching problems from a Western framework is not necessarily an offence. It is only when we fail to acknowledge our own biases and degrade those of Indigenous peoples that we slip from the pillars of respect and acceptance. As students and future professionals we have the responsibility to respect Indigenous peoples as equal partners, free from paternalistic imposition.

Remember that above all, we all hold a responsibility to contribute to an inclusive future. We hope that Makayla’s legacy is not overlooked or forgotten, but that it empowers the McMaster community to become more aware and engaged in appreciating the complexity of differing perspectives.

It is our responsibility to listen and to respect Indigenous peoples, regardless of whether different perspectives may or may not align with our own.

Edit: The quote by Dr. Zacks was originally omitted from this article. It was updated on March 30, 2015 to include this quote.