Fashion’s best collaborations

Michelle Yeung

The world of fashion is a constant flurry of changing colours, trends, and seasons. While end-of-season sales or beginning-of-season merchandise are all exciting aspects, perhaps at the centre of the effervescence are times when our beloved labels and high-profile figures come together and collaborate. Whether its designing a product, an entire collection, or simply modelling for each other, here are the top three collaborations in fashion right now:

3. Kanye West x Adidas

Screenshot 2015-02-27 at 1.41.05 AM

Those who are truly on top of their style game will have long crossed from luxe, high-end footwear to the burgeoning realm of sneakers. Many people are now riding the sporty and comfy wave all the way to brands like New Balance and Nike, among many others. While new styles periodically stir up these labels, nothing causes more hype than celebrity x sneaker collaborations and when its Kanye West x adidas, the anticipation flies off the charts.

This past week, the officially labelled Yeezy 750 Boost was revealed by Yes good friend and barber, Ibn Jasper. A high-rise sneaker that comes with a light taupe coloured suede upper body and special Boost sole, it also features a prominent strap across the front. It was later announced that this model will also come in solar red, and that a second model entitled Yeezy YZY Boost will be released soon.

The Yeezy 750 is much more high fashion than athletic. In fact, Ye even wore them to a Pre-Grammy brunch; you will likely wear them to a Givenchy runway show with Kim more so than you would while shooting back a couple beers with the boys at the pub. Depending on your typical aesthetic or what youre looking for in your next footwear investment, the adidas Yeezy 750 Boost will either cause you mega hype, or major disappointment (sorry, Yeezus).

2. Opening Ceremony x Vivienne Westwood

Screenshot 2015-02-27 at 1.44.23 AM

When two titans in the fashion industry team up, things are bound to get exciting. This week, Opening Ceremony and punk movement mastermind Vivienne Westwoods exclusive, limited edition unisex Worlds End Collection begins dropping in OC stores.

This collection is a resurrection of Westwoods iconic punk philosophy, bringing back many of her signature, politically charged designs. Pieces include post-gender vests, bombers, and shirts with funky and often provocative graphic prints. A greatest hits type collection, Westwood fuses her new-wave ideology with the eccentric and avant-garde style of OC, resulting in an urban guerilla line of instantly recognizable, rebellious, and hella rad designs.

While this is not a collection for everyone, it is likely that if you are a fan of Westwood, then you would also be of OC. To those with such taste, this collaboration is a godsend. Since androgynous fashion has become all the rave these past couple years, the unisex appeal is a cool spin; your boyfriend jeans are literally your boyfriends jeans. Take this opportunity to cop something for your significant other, because it will also be a treat for yourself.

1. Rag & Bone x Mikhail Baryshnikov x Lil Buck

2557EF2D00000578-0-image-m-148_1423091340926

To begin, this is not a fashion collaboration in the traditional sense; dancers Mikhail Baryshnikov and Lil Buck 67 and 26, respectively did not team up to design a line for rag & bone (although how amazing would that collection be?). But I might go as far as to say this isnt just the best collaboration this week it may be the coolest thing Ive seen this year.

The actual collaboration exists in the brilliant pairing made by rag & bone partners David Neville and Marcus Wainwright by enlisting Baryshnikov and Lil Buck as dancers/models to showcase their mens ready to wear Fall 2015 collection. The main focus of this new collection is to appeal to the regular guy. Since runway shows do not resonate with their intended audience, Neville and Wainwright decided to use a short film instead what a genius move that was.

Baryshnikov and Lil Buck hail from different generations and dance backgrounds but appear in a seamless performance wearing pieces from the rag & bones newest line. Personally a big fan of the label, this new collection does not disappoint. We find familiarity in its clean lines and classic styles, but Neville and Wainwright turn towards a more street-wear aesthetic. In this new collection, you can look forward to their famous tailored cuts with more sport and military details, as well as looser silhouettes intended for strategic layering.

A great collection aside, the film itself embodies both artistic and cinematic brilliance. From its minimalistic colour palette to the staggered frames that penetrate the fluidity of the dancers movements, this mesmerizing video allows audiences to appreciate rag & bones newest collection in style. Baryshnikov and Lil Buck perfectly embody the labels essence: a blend of Mr. Bs sophistication and refinement with Lil Bs athletic and raw aesthetic.